Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

We have a Craftsman 14.5 HP Electric Start 42" Mower or Lawn…

We have a Craftsman 14.5...
We have a Craftsman 14.5 HP Electric Start 42" Mower or Lawn Tractor Model###-##-#### ***** is in overall excellent condition, but very suddenly has had all of the starting system quit. When you turn the key, there is nothing. We have checked the battery and jumped it across to the starter, and both are fine. We tested the seat switch, and both of the operator safety switches. We replaced the ignition switch, and one of the interlock switches, as their working quality was questionable. Still nothing. We have nothing left except maybe the starter solenoid, and are not quite sure how to troubleshoot it. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
6/19/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
You don't mention the ignition fuse in the circuit.??? Is the fuse good, it is what has to power the keyswitch. Owners manual says fuse is behind the dash??

Yes, the fuse is good. Have checked it several times throughout this process

Starter solenoid is easily tested, just jump the battery cable terminal to the single switch terminal on the solenoid .This is the same connection the key switch makes, If the solenoid engages the starter, the solenoid is good. Check the keyswitch terminal that goes to this same terminal on the solenoid, You can have a broken wire or bad connection, between the keyswitch and the solenoid.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician