Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I HAVE A 2004 JOHN DEERE X485 AND THE PTO WILL NOT ENGAGE.

I CHECKED ALL THE FUSES...
I HAVE A 2004 JOHN DEERE X485 AND THE PTO WILL NOT ENGAGE. I CHECKED ALL THE FUSES AND REPLACED PTO SWITCH. NOT SURE IF THERE IS A RELAY OR PTO MODULE THAT NEEDS REPLACED OR SOMETHING ELSE
6/17/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
The pto does have a control module, but can you check the pto solenoid for power when the key is on and the pto switch is on? If you have battery voltage to the pto solenoid, the solenoid may be problem!
WHERE WOULD THE PTO SOLENOID BE LOCATED
on the top of the housing ,just above the pto output.
I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT. THE ONLY WIRING I SEE IS AT THE REAR OF THE TRACTOR WHICH APPEARS TO POWER A MAGNETIC DIODE. I LOOKED UNDERNEATH THE TRACTOR AROUND THE PTO OUTPUT AND SAW NO WIRING WHATSOEVER
?
I'M STILLHERE
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Input model number select your #, the go the the alphabetical list, select P for pto. Lock at the pto solenoid.
I WASN'T ABLE TO OPEN THAT SITE.
You have to left click on the link to highlite it, then right click to access.
UNFORTUNATELY IT'S NOT LETTING ME OPEN
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
OK THT'S WHAT I WAS CALLING THE MAGNETIC DIODE. SO YOU RECOMEND I CHECK TO SEE IF I HAVE POWER TO THAT SOLENOID
Yes, that is what turns the pto off and on. It has to have battery voltage when you turn on the pto. You said there was no wiring?
I WILL CHECK THAT AT LUNCHTIME. IS THESOLENOID VALVE PART OF THE SOLENOID?
There is the electrical part, and the hydraulic end that is inside the transmission, it screws out of the housing.
Ok. No power at pto solenoid. I have power into pto switch on a single blue wire but it seems like no power out w switch in on position
HEY CURTIS, DID YOU GET MY LAST TEXT?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I was out with wife at doctor, sorry. If no power from the switch which you have already replaced, the pto module would be suspect. But I don't know how you would check it!
OK. I'LL STAY IN TOUCH.DO YOU KNOW WHERE THIS PTO MODULE IS LOCATED?
I do not, the Deere parts book shows in the pto section with it's harness, my thoughts are it is under the dash area , below the pto switch.
GOOD MORNING. I'M WONDERING IF THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH COULD BE BAD? IF YOU APPLY THE BRAKE W PTO ENGAGED IT SHUTS OFF. I TALKED W A JOHN DEERE DEALER AND THEY HAVE NEVER REPLACED A PTO MODULE.
Brake switch would be easy enough to test. Locate it On the pedal linkage, and you could check with meter or bypass it.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician