Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

Have a john deere 6200 & am getting a solid "tranmission oil

Customer Question

Have a john deere 6200 & am getting a solid "tranmission oil filter is clogged" warning light. The caution light is blinking. After several minutes the "transmission/hydraulic oil temperature is too high" warning light comes on. The the Red Stop light comes on. Could all this be caused by a dirty hydraulic filter?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.
It is unlikly that the high oil temp is caused by a restricted hydraulic oil filter. The reason being is that the hydraulic oil filter is on the low pressure side of the hydraulic system which would make it difficult for the oil filter bypass to cause extreme oil heating. I would suggest removing the filter and cutting it open to see if it is actually restricted and if so by what. The hydraulic oil filter is rather large does not commonly become restricted unless it has not been changed in a long period of time. It is actually more common that the filter restriction pressure switch fails internally.
It is far less common for the hydraulic oil temp sensor to fail this indicating that you do have a high oil temp problem. This is most commonly caused by a high pressure internal leak or a fault in the load sense circuit that is causing the hydraulic pump to remain in stall at all times. If the tractor hydraulics seem to operate normally then the problem is most likely a problem with the load sense circuit.
Let me know what you are seeing in the filter and how the tractor hydraulics work and I will assist you with further diagnostics as needed.
Thanks,
Kevin