Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

All of a sudden while mowing hay today, all my odd gears stopped…

Customer Question
All of a sudden while...
All of a sudden while mowing hay today, all my odd gears stopped working. Each tries to engage but won't take off. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
This is on a 2004 New Holland TM190
6/1/2015
Mechanic: dd85, Foreman replied 3 years ago
dd85
dd85, Foreman
Is this a Power Command transmission? A B and C ranges?Have you got any error codes?Have you tried to calibrate the transmission?
No. It is 18 foward and 6 reverse. No fault or error codes and have no calibrated it.
No. It is 18 forward and 6 reverse. There are no fault codes and no I have not calibrated it.
Can you tell me how to calibrate it?
Okay that is a Range Command. I have attached the calibration instructions. If you get an error code during calibration let me know what it is.
Did it calibrate?
So yes, I calibrated it and the tractor worked fine for 15 or so minutes. I started mowing hay again and it did it again. All odd gears went out. I turned the tractor off, let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. It worked fine again for 15 min or so and did it again. Do you think that the mile per hour speed of the tractor is out of sequence, if that makes any sense. The top speed of this tractor should be around 26 miles an hour and right now it is around 22. Let me know your thoughts.
No errors came up while calibrating? The Speed is set by the tire size so it may be set wrong but that shouldn't cause it to stop with out an error code.Try calibrating again, then shut off for 1 minute, the calibrate again.
After calibrating, the letter F does not show up but an A does. Also then when you press the downshift button CF does not show up.
Do you mean this time? or both times?Did it make a difference in the way it shifted?
After the 1st time. We are doing it for the 2nd time as we speak. Haven't drove it sonce but will after this time if we get an F and a CF.
The odd gears work for awhile after the tractor has set all night. Then once I start mowing in 11th gear, the odd gears go out after 10-15 minutes of use.
Just got done with the 2nd calibration amd same thing. It showed an A instead of an F and after pressing the downshift button it does not show a CF. It shows no code.
Okay Well at least you got CF Calibration Finished. The F should have shown up when you released the button after the last clutch. Now let set with key off for 1 minute to set the new calibration settingsStill no Error codes coming up?
No...it NEVER shows a "F" or a "CF". After it is done with the R gear, it immediately shows "A" not the "F" that you are saying. Then after you press the downshift button, nothing shows up. (No "CF")So after doing this calibration twice, I drive it around the barn area, unhook the mower, hook up the rake and all gears are working great. I take it out in the field and start raking and after about 10 minutes, all odd gears went out again.
Okay, The A solenoid valve controls all the Odd gear, The Transmission control valve is located on the top of the transmission, Access through the cab floor board. It sounds like the A solenoid is not working after heating up (should bring up error code?) So If you changed the A solenoid with the B solenoid then when it heats up there would be no even gears, This would tell us that the solenoid is the problem. I have attached pictures of the trans control valve and a parts picture.
parts picture
Did you get a chance to check the solenoid?