Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Ford 841 Powermaster (1958?) Tractor and am

Hi. I have a Ford...
Hi. I have a Ford 841 Powermaster (1958?) Tractor and am changing the fluids as there is some water in the transmission, and perhaps the hydraulics and differential as well. I intend to use 80/90 Gear Oil (GL-5) for the transmission and the rear differential,
while utilizing Coastal 303 Hydraulic fluid for the Hydraulic reservoir. Should I flush the transmission with kerosene? Is the 80/90 Gear Oil heavy enough such that if there are any leaks in any seals/gaskets (all of which ((seals/gaskets)) I do not know where/how/why
they may or may not exist) or should I add some kind of additive to the gear oil to help with any gasket sealing? How do I flush the hydraulic system and is it necessary? Will the coastal 303 hydraulic fluid be sufficient for the 841 Ford? How do I tell if
there are any hydraulic leaks? So far the arms seem to be pretty responsive and seem to hold up when carrying weight. What will happen if hydraulic fluid leaks into the 80/90 gear oil? Should I flush the differential? If so, how?
5/22/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What transmission do you have? Just a geared transmission? Not the Select-o-matic? If just a geared transmission , the 80/90 is what it needs. It won't hurt to flush the system with kerosene or diesel. Hydraulic oil in the 80/90 will not really hurt anything. The later models use the hydraulic fluid in the transmission and rear end and the hydraulic reservoir is the transmission case! If the Coastal 303 meets the Ford/New Holland 134 spec, it will work.
It is a geared transmission, not the select-o-matic. How best to flush an old hydraulic system? How to flush the differential? Gasket sealer? I don't know if the Coastal 303 meets the Ford/New Holland 134 spec...
Unless the hydraulics have water in them, I would not flush! To flush, use the new hydraulic oil, run till it warms the oil and dump it. Then refill with new oil. The Coastal can will have specs on the side of the can, look for the 134 spec. The transmission/rear end, fill with diesel or kerosene, and drive it for a short time, not far and no load, as the fluid is too thin to protect bearings and gears. The drain and refill with 80/90. Don't use a silicon gasket sealer, as silicon will wind up in the system. Use something like #2 Permatex.
I was thinking something along the lines like an additive such as bar's leaks (for radiators), only for transmissions/differentials; if such a product/application exists. I'm not even sure if there are any leaks in the system, and if there are what kind of leaks they would be and if they would be relevant to a gasket of some kind. I think thy hydraulics have water hence would like to flush/change.
There are many additives for stopping leaks in different oils and systems, I would not use any of them! That's just my preference!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician