Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My son in law removed the 4 hoses on my John Deere loader attached

Customer Question

My son in law removed the 4 hoses on my John Deere loader attached to my 870 JD tractor. I can't seem to get to get the new hoses connected correctly. Can you help?
Greg Smith
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi It's Dan. Thanks for the request. What model loader attachment do you have on this tractor? Model and serial number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
870 model, SN: W00440X008827
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
870 is the tractor model, loader model is 440. Sorry for the confusion.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Copy and paste this link in your browser as I uploaded two possible diagrams of what you have there. look at the steel line configuration to identify which one is for your loader. Then one at a time follow the dotted lines on where the diagram shows the hoses connect. Let me know.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ha1441esr9j6rau,i53foarejmai36p/shared
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The connections that I need are for the 4 hoses that connect to the lines numbered 3,4,5,6 pictured in page 2 of 2 at the top of the diagram you sent. I wasn't clear with my question as to which connections I needed. These hoses are app 3.5 feet long and connect at the opposite end of 3,4,5,6 with compression connections near the clutch on the tractor. When I first got the new hoses and reconnected them with what I thought was correct, the bucket would lift but would not control the tilt or dump position of the bucket.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Check to see if the ports have labels P1, P2, P3, and P4. Connect colored couplers on hoses matching numbers and/or colors on decal by coupler plate.
Colored Couplers on Hose Couplers Colors on Coupler Plate
Red or Silver (Head-End Bucket Cylinder) Silver (Port No. 2)
Yellow (Rod-End Bucket Cylinder) Yellow (Port No. 1)
Green (Head-End Lift Cylinder) Green (Port No. 4)
Black (Rod-End Lift Cylinder) Black (Port No. 3)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The hoses are attached correctly according to the diagrams you sent. Now the loader lifts up and the bucket works in the dump position, however, the bucket tilt back up does not work. Could there be another problem other than the hoses?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg, thanks for the update. If the hoses are correct now but there is only that one function not working you could have a cylinder bypassing internally or a releif valve sticking open with debris or damaged o rings causing pressure in that circuit to bypass. Remove and inspect the relief for debris and damaged o rings and for confirmation and test purposes swap reliefs with another function to see if the problem moves with it. Also check to be sure the spool id moving freely in the control valve for that function. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try this. You have been a great help.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome Greg. Pleasure to help