Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a john deere 160 lawn tractor. It runs good, the problem…

I have a john deere...
I have a john deere 160 lawn tractor. It runs good, the problem i am having is starting the engine. I sit on the seat, depress the brake pedal and turn the key to on i hear a click then i turn the key to run and and get nothing. now if i hook my power probe up to the battery and touch the probe to where the purple and white wire connects to the solenoid and send 12 volts to the solenoid it will fire right up and keep running until i turn the key off. Is this a safety switch problem, or is it something else?
4/30/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Can be safety switch, the seat and the brake both affect start. Is the seat switch and harness good? If you use your test light, wire to battery negative, and probe to the single switch wire on the solenoid , do you have power when you turn key to start? If not , it is a safety switch problem.

Should I probe the switch wire on solenoid while sitting on the seat? The wires under the seat look ok i unplugged the connector and plugged it back in.

Is the seat switch just two wire? Bypass it if it is. Yes, sit on the seat if you can.

I used a jumper wire and jumped the seat switch and was able to start the mower using the key.

So you need a seat switch or just leave it jumper-ed!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician