Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I'm going to try and explain this the best I can; I have a…

I'm going to try and...
I'm going to try and explain this the best I can; I have a John Deere 1980 or 1981 4040, every time when I go to start the tractor, I have to jiggle the gear shift while it's in neutral (the other gear shift is in (P)) while turning the ignition at the sometime. Only then with me slowly moving the neutral gear it becomes a hit and miss. After several tries the engine will turn over and start, but ONLY with me moving shiftier back and forth in neutral. I've ask our local John Deere dealer and they say it might be the safety start switch going into the transmission.
The transmission is a Quad-Range.
4/5/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Neutral start switch may be the culprit, or it can be wear in the transmission shifter , that does not make good contact with the neutral switch ball. The switch is screwed into the right side of the transmission housing, and has a two wire harness going to it, Mounted up high, just left of the battery and back a little. See if you can locate it, screw it out, and remove any gaskets or shims on it, and re-install it and see if it works any better. If not try a new switch.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician