Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 4400 and I couldn't get it started. I checked the…

I have a 4400 and...
I have a 4400 and I couldn't get it started. I checked the fuel filter and it was very very dirty. I changed it. But it will not start. I hit it with a little starting fluid and it turned right over but would not continue to run.
It appears its not getting any diesel to the engine. What do I check next?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B. :

4400 Deere?

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

yes 4400 deere

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

have any ideas?

Curtis B. :

If you open the bleeder at the inlet fuel line on the injection pump, and use the fuel primer pump , do you get fuel at the pump?

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

Haven't tried that yet. Where is bleeder ? I know where the primer lever is.

Curtis B. :

#1 is bleeder screw

MP29/MP29339________UN08JUL02.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

See # ***** in image.

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

Ok after I try that then what?

Curtis B. :

If fuel, at the pump, have you bleed the injector lines?

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

No have not

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

Let me know how to do that

Curtis B. :

If there is no fuel squirting at the injector lines, check the fuel solenoid on the end of the injection pump. Has to open the fuel as soon as the key is turned on. # *****

MP23/MP23920________UN07DEC00.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

To bleed the injectors you would just loosen the high pressure lines at the cylinder head on each of the three cylinders. The crank engine and watch for fuel , if there is air, keep cranking until fuel is squirting. If none squirting, then check the solenoid above in the second picture.

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

Ok I take it that this will have a fuse or relay if it is not opening up?

Curtis B. :

I doubt it is problem, but yes it has a relay that sends voltage to it when the key is on,

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

so what would be next?

Curtis B. :

Check for fuel at the pump, check for fuel squirting at the injectors, check the solenoid. If there is no fuel at the pump, you need to backup and look at the fuel supply from the tank and the filter, checking the tank outlet, the fuel lines and the filter housing and fittings.

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

Ok if I get fuel squirting at the pump what would I check next

Curtis B. :

That is all till you get further into it. You can check it tomorrow and get back then if you like.

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

ok thanks Curtis

Curtis B. :

Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-zjx9lxf0- :

I couldn't sleep till I figured this out. Again thanks

Curtis B. :

Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician