Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

20 hp JD tractor running #1 diesel is running fine minutes…

20 hp JD tractor running...
20 hp JD tractor running #1 diesel is running fine for 45 minutes and dies. Try to restart and will run only at low rpm for a few seconds then dies. Try to start again and this repeats. What's up?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/6/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Looks like the engine kills with the throttle. Has no electrical shut off. So that leaves it to be a fuel supply problem, or a return line problem. Check the return line from the injector return line manifold, back to the tank, has to be open. If return is ok, figure you have a restriction in the fuel supply. Test by opening the bleed screw at the injection pump when it stalls, and see if you have good fuel flow. If not , follow it back to see where the restriction is, filter, lines or tank outlet. I assume you have replaced the fuel filter?
This tractor has a gravity feed to the fuel filter, which has two bleeder screws at the top (looks like one in and one out) then a fuel line to the injector pump which has a bleed screw. When I first opened what was I assume the bleeder into the fuel filter housing, fuel came out. I took off the fuel bowl over the filter, which had some goop in the bottom but not quite up to the filter bottom itself, dumped out the goop, took off the filter which looked bright and clean with a couple small specks of dirt on it(filter probably has 12 hrs on it). I put it back together and had to open the inlet bleeder to get the bowl to fill. I then cracked the injector pump bleeder and fuel came out. I closed that bleeder and tried starting. The tractor reved up for a 5or 6 seconds and then died like my initial problem. I then opened the bleeder on the injector pump and started it again . The tractor started normally with the throttle half open. It seemed to be running normally and reving normally, I tried the hydraulics and snow blower at high rpm, all seemed nromal, then, after a few minutes, I set the throttle about 1200rpm and got off to check for leaks and tightness of things. Then, the revs started going down, I got back on the tractor and it would idle below about 1000 to 1200 revs, it would rev high OK and sound normal, but after 15 or 20 seconds it started being similar to my initial problem and die. After that it was back to trying to start and not working. What do you think? Thanks,Tom
Did you check the return line back to the tank?
There is a small return line from the injectors that goes up into a plastic bowl with 3 nipples on it. One from the injectors, one back to the tank, and one on the bottom that ends in a water manifold. I took off the line that goes back to the tank and blew through it and seemed clear (I could hear it in the tank), I took off the line into the bowl and blew through that and it was clear out of the nipple that goes to the tank line, put them back and tried to start it ....same results.
Take the return line loose and see if the tractor runs. With it running after you opened the primer screw at the injection pump, makes me think there is pressure building , shutting off the fuel.
That didn't work. When I went back out this morning, I wasn't getting any fuel out anywhere, so I disconnected the fuel line to the fuel filter and no fuel was coming out, there is no other fuel shut off on the tank. It looks like I should take out the tank.
That would do it!
Please rate and accept to close the question.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician