HAVE A DEERE 8770 SOMETIMES WHEN I PUT IT INTO GEAR IT WONT MOVE SHIFT IT AGAIN IT WORKS FINE BELIEVE IT'S IN THE 12345678

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: HAVE A JOHN DEERE 8770 SOMETIMES WHEN I PUT IT INTO GEAR IT WONT MOVE SHIFT IT AGAIN IT WORKS FINE BELIVE ITS IN THE 12345678 NOT THEABCD DONT DO IT ALL THE TIME COULD IT BE LINKAGE IT GOES INTO GEAR JUST FINE.ALLAN
Answered by Kevin in 1 day 8 years ago
imglogo
Kevin
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.
The most common cause for this problem is a stretched shift cable preventing engagement. However when we see the cable stretch and come out of adjustment one of the first symptoms is it will start popping out of gear. You might also be able to shift up to four and pull it back to 1 or 2 and it should move fine. If it simply feels like there is nothing there at all then it may be a clutch engagement issue. If the problem is related to the clutch it won't grind if the shifter is moved slightly with the pedal released. The most likely problem is the cable has stretched allowing it to come out of adjustment.
The easiest way to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the shifter lever in the cab and then manual shift the tractor into gear using the linkage on the side of the transmission (I know its difficult to reach). Move the shift lever to the corresponding gear and adjust the end of the cable until it fits back into the lever easily.
Please keep me posted as I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.
Thanks,
Kevin
Customer

would it be possible that the cable on the clutch is the problem . the clutch pushes very hard the transmission shifts just fine but it seems its the clutch isn't right im woundering if we replace the cable if that would do it. it doesn't ever come out of gear

Thats a good sign if it has not had a problem popping out of gear and yes the clutch cable is another possible cause. When you depress the clutch all you are actually doing is modulating a small hydraulic valve which the valve it self actually has little resistance at all. Most of the resistance you should feel would be the return spring attached to the lever on the transmission. The below link will take you to the diagram showing the clutch cable and the lever #25 where the spring attachés. I question however if the shaft that the lever turns isn't stiff in the housing causing the pedal not to return all the way.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/RXP0/RXP021191______UN10MAY95.gif
I would suggest disconnecting the clutch cable from the #25 lever and actuate the lever by hand. If the lever moves easily through its entire range then the clutch cable needs to be replaced. Keep in mind that cables are deceptive as they will often move in and out easily with no load applied. Regardless I would suggest spraying lube on the shaft attached to the #25 lever as we have seen these seize up. Also a testing tip, if you find the tractor won't move depress the clutch and let your foot slip off it when fully depressed causing it to slam up. Be prepared as the tractor may lunge aggressively. This would point to the cable of the shaft if the tractor lunges after previously having not moved when the clutch was released normal.
Keep me posted.
Thanks,
Kevin
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Kevin
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Kevin
10+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.