Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

We are a non-profit therapy horseback riding facility for people…

We are a non-profit therapy...
We are a non-profit therapy horseback riding facility for people with special needs. We have a John Deere 2210 compact utility tractor that we use every day for helping with cleaning our stables. The starter does not always mesh cleanly with the flywheel and we have to shake and vibrate the tractor for the pinion gear to cleanly engage with the flywheel. The starter has been rebuilt replacing the entire internal assembly so the pinion gear is part of the assembly and is beveled. Have you seen this symptom before? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
11/1/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B. :

what does the flywheel ring gear look like? Ring gear will stop in two different positions, this is where all the wear takes place, look for the ring gear on the flywheel to be excessively worn at two places. , that is why the starter clashes with the flywheel.

Curtis B. :

MP24/MP24719________UN23APR01.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

Ring gear is replaceable!

Customer:

Thank you. I will try to find an independent mechanic - not at a John Deere dealer - to look at it. John Deere did come out as a "favor" for us to tell us that the gear was not meshing cleanly. And that favor cost us $310. They wanted us to replace the starter with a new one for a mere $683 - that was with a discount because we are a non-profit. Your answer makes much more sense.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician