Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2004 mode 790 john deere tractor with a 300 loader…

I have a 2004 mode...
I have a 2004 mode 790 john deere tractor with a 300 loader bucket on it, all of the hydraulics work except the bucket will not curl back up, if i swap the quick connect hoses on the left side of the tractor it will curl up but wont go back down, also if i take both of the hoses off the left hydraulic cylinder that attaches to the bucket is will shoot a steady stream of fluid out the hoses but at the same time the bucket will curl and go back down like it is suppose to but when i reattach the hoses it will only work going down, i tried it with the left hydraulic cylinder unattched from the bucket and it still wont work, my question is do you think its the hydraulic cylinder or the valve that in the box that the joy stick attaches to.
10/23/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Will bucket hold position if you stop about half way forward? If it leaks down, I think your left bucket cylinder is leaking internally, and if one cylinder leaks, it affects the other, as they are teed together. I gather it works with right cylinder hooked up, but will not work with left cylinder. Check the left cylinder for internal leakage. You can do this by bottoming the bucket cylinders, in either direction, figure out which hose to the cylinders is pressure, and remove the opposite, hose on one cylinder. The pressure up the cylinder in the same direction and if oil comes out the open cylinder, the cylinder is bad. If it comes out the hose you removed, the opposite cylinder is the bad one.

so you've ruled out the valve in the the control box that the joy stick attaches to? it will be midday before i can go and check the cylinders.

Control valve rarely gives problems , cylinders or quick connects are where problem is 90 percent of time!

so it wouldn't be the quick connects since it will shoot fluid out of the hoses when you move the joystick Right?

You have already checked the disconnects and they seem to work. If bucket would move in neither direction, a quick connect might not be opening, but sounds like yours are good.

i will do the test you gave me on the cylinders and let you know back this afternoon. Thanks

Ok, thanks.

OK, let me tell you what i did and you explain it to me, i did the test you gave me for the cylinders and according to the results nether one is bad, so i went back to the quick disconnects and took them off and inspected them, the pin in the center of one of the female ends looked like the pin from the male end was sliding off to one side and not letting enough fluid through it so i called the john deere dealer here and ordered one, i put the good one back on left the other one disconnected , i let the bucket down on a block so when i bleed the lines it would push the cylinders all the way in. after i bleed the lines i started the tractor and the bucket and the up and down hydraulics work fine with only one line[quick disconnect] hooked up, is this alright or am i going to still have trouble later?

You can be right on . The coupler has to open the connection, You can do away with them and hook them direct unless you want to take loader on and off. If cylinders did not show leak, the coupler should do it!

but is it going to be alright to use the loader with only one line hooked up as long as it works ? or does it have to have both lines?

You need both lines installed.

i wont get the other coupling until Monday, my question is , is it alright to use the loader today with only one line or will it hurt anything?

It won't hurt, unless it is leaking oil. I don't understand what you are doing. You have one direct connected and one on quick connect? You have to have both lines to the cylinder.????

No, i only have one line connected and its working fine, should it work with only one line?

I don't see how it can go both directions if it only has one hose connected, the cylinder is double acting.???

its working with only one line attached, does that mean the valve in the control box is bad? i am fine with only one line as long as its not going to cause other problems

If it works, I don't see it being a problem.

i will install the other coupling monday and see if everything works right then. i will send you an update on monday.

OK. thanks for the reply.
I took the cylinders to have them rebuilt. They said to pick them up Monday , I will let you know when I get them put back on if this fixed the problem
OK< thanks

I picked up the cylinders this morning , put them back on and everything works like it is suppose to now, i guess i didn't do the test you gave me to check the cylinders right. but anyway its fixed now Thanks so much for your help.

Good job! Thanks for the update. Please rate and accept. That will close the question.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician