Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2004 Branson tractor that got stuck in the mud. When…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Branson...
I have a 2004 Branson tractor that got stuck in the mud. When pulling it out backwards the front end dropped in the hole and something popped in the front end and the tractor cut off and now it appears that the motor is locked up and it won't turn over. I was pulling it out with a chain hoist which is very slow. Not sure what happened. Please help with your thoughts. Also the starter is engaging now in reverse and nutriel and it would in reverse before I got it stuck. The tractor is about a mile in the woods and is now not stuck and was hoping there was something I could try before I had to get it towed out. Thanks for your time
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
10/17/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will try to help. When you were pulling it out where you in gear or in neutral? the engine was running? It is possible that the transmission is stuck in gear or something could have failed internally. Will the engine turn over if you barred it over with hand tools? If so then the engine would not be locked up which is a good sign but I think it will be a good idea to get it to a good place to work on it. Drain the fluids and look for any signs of metal or internal damage in the filters and oil. Also give it a good visual inspection. Let me know if you need further help.
Hi Keith, I just wanted to follow up with you to see if you still needed further help with this. If so, let me know or if you have all the information you need please be sure to rate or click accept if you are satisfied with the information I have provided as it is how I get credited for for helping you or let me know if you still need further help and Ill be glad to help you further.
Dan, I got my tractor out of the woods Sunday and now have it on dry land to work on. My housing on my front axle had 4 broken bolts in it so I started there first. Should get it back from machine shop on Monday. So here are the other concerns with the tractor. Tries to turn over in reverse and nutruel but it didn't use to in reverse. I can't get the engine to turn of with a wrench but I plan to get a beaking bar so I can put some pressure on it. I somehow have lost all of my stearing as well. Had to use a short chain to get it out.
Thanks for any advise you may have
Thanks for the updated info Keith. Try to bar the engine over like you mentioned with a a breaker bar or long ratchet to see if it will turn over in the direction of rotation and see if it binds up at any point. It is possible that if the tractor was in gear at the time of the tow that something either in the drivetrain failed or possibly even the engine crankshaft.Try finding neutral so you can isolate this problem whether the failure is in the engine, transmission, etc. Drain the reservoirs and look for signs of metal or debris indicating a failure. Let me know.