Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

yanmar diesel in gator starts normally 80% of time. 20% will…

Customer Question
yanmar diesel in gator starts...
yanmar diesel in gator starts normally 80% of time. 20% will start, and immediately stop for lack of fuel. restarting runs a little longer each time, till if finally runs after about 4th start. Replaced shut off solenoid, and fuel filter..no help?????????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
10/14/2014
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 8 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this
this always happens when engine is cold
1st start of the day ??
let me know

No, it does not seem to be a problem of being cold, or setting for a long time between starts.

It is totally random, and is occurring about 20% of the time.

It will always start when the engine is still warm and restarted shortly after shutting down, but will sometimes not start within a half hour of a warm shutdown.

Hi John
Thank you for that
there is a fuel check valve in the filter housing
remove that and make sure it is free, and blow in it
air will only go one way

Thanks Wayne,

I had the filter housing out of the machine a couple days ago when I changed the filter, but didn't know about the check valve.

I will remove it again, and "check" it out, than get back to you.

Hi Wayne,

I have pulled the fuel filter from the Gator.

There are four ports on this housing.

The input port has a shut off valve.

The output port goes directly to the injector pump.

With the filter bowel attached, I blew air into the input port.

All the fuel came out the output port, and the air comes out the output port.

I was able to blow into the output port, and the air comes out the input port.

In other words, I can blow air in both directions.

This might indicate there is no check valve, or it is stuck open.

The other two ports on the top of the filter housing appear to be a fuel return from the injector pump, and a return line to the fuel tank.

?????????

I will wait for your reply.

Thanks,

Hi Thank you for that
ok lets go a different route
On the inlet side of the inj. Pump
there is a banjo fitting
remove this , and should be a filter screen in there that screws out
check that

Will do, then get back to you.

Thanks,

Wayne,

I removed the banjo fitting on the inlet side of the injector pump.

There is no screen.

All I see in there is clean red diesel.

Whats next?

Thank You for that
I like the way you put everything in same response
Ok , moving on
when was last time you adjusted valve
I would do this ,
they are .008 both of them

Wayne,

I believe you are a very good overall diesel mechanic, but are not familiar with my particular Yanmar diesel engine.

There was no check valve in the filter housing, or screen in the input to the injector pump. A plugged input to the injector pump would not have been suspect for my problem, and I don't believe the valves would cause the "intermittent" problem I am experiencing, which occurs infrequently hot or cold.

I do not expect any expert to be familiar with every engine on the market.

Therefore, I am going to take to a certified Yanmar dealer.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards,

John Tevelonis

Hi John

Very well put,

we don't know all of them and not being there is hard to see what is going on Good Luck to you Sorry I could not help

last suggestion,

when it is not starting, check for power at fuel shut off solenoid,

Thanks Wayne,

The fuel shut off solenoid was my first choice.

I had 12v at the "holding" coil (25 ohms) when the ignition switch was on, and 12v at the "starting" coil (1 ohm) when the starter was engaged. (Both coils are in shut off solenoid)

I even put in a new shutoff solenoid, but same results.

I'm going to put in a check valve between the fuel filter out and injector pump in, if that doesn't work, it's off to the Yanmar man.

Thanks again for your help, I understand it was an almost impossible task given the circumstances.

Best regards, John

OK,
Was just a thought