Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a John Deere 4720 Cab tractor. When I turn the ignition…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 4720 Cab tractor. When I turn the ignition key to start, the engine just clicks for second or two and then nothing. We put in a new battery but the same symptoms happened. We put a starter/charger on it and set to 2 amps and it shows charging but when set to 20 amps it will reach set charge and then OL (overload appears. We then disconnected the negative cable and reattached the charger. It would then charge the battery fine. I was mowing for 30 min. And when turning around I stalled the tractor due to RPM's too low. When trying to restart these problems started. We then let the charger run for a couple minutes and if I turn the key just to run the A/C blower will run or the air pump for the seat will operate if we don't turn to start. Is there a neutral start switch that could be bad? If so, where is it at? What should I try? Could I have gotten a faulty battery?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
10/5/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Is the negative cable good and has a good clean connection to the frame ground? With charger acting up when ground cable is on the battery, it seems to be something that needs to be eliminated, Try adding a jumper cable and attach it as a separate ground from battery to the frame. Also Look around the starter, Deere is infamous at putting a fusible link at the starter, which can kill the power to the system.
The neg. Cable looks fine. Attached tightly to the frame where it has been since I bought new 2007. I don't see a fusible link near starter / solenoid. Mine is a cab tractor. I don't know if there is a link between the starter and the solenoid.I will look in the morning.
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
ok, let me know.
I meant between the switch and the solenoid. The solenoid is piggybacked to the starter.
The fusible link would be between the solenoid and the fuse panel, not between the solenoid and starter. On the small wires, not battery cable.