Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Curtis, mine is not a heavy equip, I have a John Deere 790…

Customer Question
Curtis, mine is not a...
Curtis, mine is not a heavy equip, I have a John Deere 790 I use around my 9 acre place. It has been great but yesterday when I went to use it after a few weeks not, it would not turn over. So I jump started it and it started right off and I let it run for awhile. Then I got on it and put it into gear and it moved about 10 feet and died and now it won't start at all. The battery is new and strong so that is not the problem. I don't know why it ran down in the first place as it just clicked and would not turn over. I don't know what else to tell you about it. It has plenty of fuel.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/18/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have a voltmeter to check the system? What is battery voltage? With fully charged battery , it should be above 13 volts. Do you have this same voltage at the starter solenoids positive post? Do you get any clicking now?

I do not have a voltmeter. It is a fairly new battery and has not problem turning over. Since I have never had a problem with it starting or running. Would it run year after year without problems and then all of a sudden the voltage be a problem?

Relist: Answer quality.
It did not make sense to me; perhaps it was accurate but I did not get the feeling that Curtis actually read my statement. I googled and was surprised to see the exact same question ask three years ago regarding a JD model 790.
With you jump starting it and it ran for only a short ways before it died and now won't turn over. I think the battery needs to be ruled out. I assume the engine is not turning?

It turns over just fine, over and over. It cranks, it won't start.

Look at the fuel solenoid , just to the left of the injection pump. It has to have 12 volts at all times the key is on , or you get no fuel. A quick test, would be to loosen it and slip it back, to see if engine starts. If ti does, then start by checking voltage at he solenoid, if it has voltage with key on, the solenoid is bad.MP20/MP20467________UN12FEB99.gif

I will go check and get back to you.

OK, thanks.

I guess I need to be more of a mechanic to understand the language of a mechanic. I will just take it into the shop later.

Thanks

Relist: Other.
I am sure Curtis is a good mechanic but I lost confidence in his answer when I reallized he was not reading my problem. I told him the engine was cranking but not starting. He was asking me questions it seemed to me that I had already answered.
You said it started when you jumped it! Then it would not crank.?? WHAT!! Did you find the fuel solenoid?