Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

what kind of fluid goes into the screw off dip stick next to…

what kind of fluid goes...
what kind of fluid goes into the screw off dip stick next to power steering box of a Ford 1600 Tractor?
8/12/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

This is the dipstick for the steering gear and it takes 90 wt gear oil.

I hope this is correct. A local tractor place said it was Hydraulic Fluid. It makes sense since it's next to the power steering box. I'll do some further checking and let you know.

It is for greasing the gears in the gearbox, Hydraulic fluid is too light. I was service manager for New Holland dealer. It is right! What is init now? If dipstick does not touch,use a probe to get deeper and find what was there.

I did this with a long flat screw driver and it came out almost clear.

90 wt is clear, but quite a bit thicker than hydraulic oil. Do you see any leaks?

It was same consistency as hydraulic and there are no leaks. I smelled fluid and it was hydraulic. I also compared the fluids from their containers to be sure. I have a container of each.

It's your choice, it is a contained section and the gears are what is oiled. I would use the 90 wt!

Thank you.

Thank you! Please rate my answer and that will close the question.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician