Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a2120 ford tractor with 6 foot tiller attached tilled for awhile no problem turnd over some leaves with front...

Customer Question
i have a2120 ford tractor...
i have a2120 ford tractor with 6 foot tiller attached tilled for awhile no problem turnd over some leaves with front end loader went to till again, set levers correctly, dropped tiller, put it in gear, let up the clutch, tiller started then stopped - now the tractor won't move.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/10/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Unhook the tiller and with pto in gear and engine OFF, see if you can turn the pto shaft. If you can, the clutch on the engine has failed. Which will stop pto and drive. I assume this is standard geared transmission and not hydrostat. If clutch is out, the only repair will be to split tractor and replace the clutch!

Could it be the independent forward/reverse shift?

That would not affect the pto operation. Pto runs direct from engine flywheel to the pto output. It goes through no other gears of the transmission. To affect both pto and drive, clutch failure is likely. Have you done the pto shaft test?