Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a problem with a New Holland G4050 lawn mower. When…

Customer Question
I have a problem with...
I have a problem with a New Holland G4050 lawn mower. When operating, the mower deck loses power while mowing. I am able to mow a half pass at a time (I have been mowing with the deck raised), but the cut is uneven. When mowing with the deck lowered, the problem is worse, and there is a smell of burning rubber. This problem arose last year after the mower blades became entangled with a piece of nylon rigging hidden in long grass. This mower had previously had problems with belts breaking after very little service. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/27/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
With engine OFF,see if you can turn the deck belt and spindles and check the blades.You could have debris wrapped up in the deck , causing it to be hard to turn, It should turn freely id not engaged. The burning smell is the deck drive belt slipping, either from heavy load, or loose belt.

Thank you for your response. I Checked the deck belt and spindles. I was able to pull the belt with some difficulty, and I saw that all the spindles moved. The belt seems loose, but I don't know how tight it ought to be. The belt was installed this morning. I saw that a groove approximately 1/16 deep has been cut into the belt after about thirty minutes of grass cutting. (This has not happened before). I removed the belt and saw that all the spindles moved very easily. I checked the blades and found no obstructions.

I should add that the deck was serviced after it was entangled in the aforementioned rigging and all the nylon was removed.

Belt from engine has to be tight! It has idler that has spring that has to keep belt under tension at all times. Is belt on pulleys correctly and belt is not over one of the belt guards?

OK. Thanks. Belt is on correctly. Not over belt guards. I checked the pulley at the engine and it does not turn nearly as easily as the deck pulleys. The belt on the mower is a Mitsubishi Industrial V-Belt A158. Is that the right size? I do not usually get parts for this mower, so I don't know exactly what size or type it needs and I didn't see anything in the manual about adjusting the belt tension.

TR109D3661 is New Holland belt number, but I find no dimensions. The electric clutch , that drives the belt should turn freely when it is off. It should lock when key is on and pto switch is pulled. There is no adjustment on the belt, the idler spring is all that keeps it tight.

If the clutch that drives the belt turns with difficulty when off, is that something that can be easily adjusted?

No, electric clutch is not adjustable. It would have to be replaced. Might check it for debris that has wrapped around it.