Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

1979 John Deere 410D backhoe. Trans. filter housing

1979 John Deere 410D backhoe...

1979 John Deere 410D backhoe. Started with a gasket leak around transmission filter housing, the one that hangs straight down. Replaced gasket, and filter. Ran for a couple off days, then the transmission filter housing completely blew off. The 8 inch bolt that goes thru the housing broke off. About 2 inches still in backhoe. Was able to unthread broken bolt. Got a new bolt, gasket , and filter. Ran fine a couple of days, about an hour total. Again it blew the housing off and sheered the bolt. Could the pressure relief valve be letting to much hydraulic fluid into the transmission housing? Hydraulic fluid is not being over filled, it is always between the full marks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

# XXXXX is the pressure relief valve, it may be plugged with debris or just needs to be replaced, it has to relieve , or the filter will over pressure.

TP46/TP46972________UN22JUN95.gif
Full Size Image

Customer:

The hydraulic is a seal unit, I replaced the fluid about one and a half years ago. The pressure relief valve is a straight forward replacement, nothing needs to be adjusted? Thank you for your answer

Curtis B. :

Then I would replace it! Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician