Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a John Deere 510B backhoe. I ran it a week or so ago…

I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 510B backhoe. I ran it a week or so ago and everything was fine. Now the frontloader bucket wont raise (well, it raises at an almost unnoticable rate). All the other hydraulics function fine - backhoe, stabilizers, clamshell, and frontloader tilt. The hydraulic fluid is full, and there's no fluid on-the-job ground anywhere that would suggest a leak or broken hose.

It *has* been really cold (here in PA). Highs just below freezing, 10s in the mornings, 20s during the day - and today started at -2. I've been letting it run for 45 minutes or so to warm things up, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
2/12/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

The bucket works but the boom is not? If the boom raises, will it stay up, or does fall back down?

Curtis B. :

With bucket and boom on the ground, remove the hose opposite the base of the cylinder. then see when you try to lift, if oil pours from the open hole,or from the removed hose. Oil from cylinder would mean leaking cylinder, from hose, would be the cylinder on the opposite side.

Customer:

Yes - the bucket works but not the boom (on the frontloader part). When it rises (it takes a loooong time), it does stay up until I push the lever to lower it. And as it lowers, I can control the descent by letting go of the lever.

Customer:

I'll take a look at the hose/cylinder tomorrow (snow permitting - we're supposed to get up to 12"). I'll let you know as soon as I check into that. Thanks!!

Curtis B. :

If it stays up, it should be ok. But when you move the lever, is it moving the spool full stroke? The cover that holds the return spring and detent might be keeping it from moving full travel. Does lever feel same as before?

Customer:

This morning it was much warmer (made it all the way to 33 *grin*), so I started it again and let it warm up for a while. I don't know why I thought that would help (when it didn't last night) - maybe just because it worked a week or so ago when it wasn't so cold. An hour later I tried the bucket and it worked. Does this help diagnose the problem? It seems that maybe the fluid in the lines leading to the bucket thickened to the point of not being able to be pushed through. I know it was hard as heck to pump new fluid from the cold 5-gallon container when I topped it off yesterday.

Curtis B. :

Are you using the Deere hytrans oil? Obviously the oil would be harder to push when cold because of the viscosity, Maybe there is some moisture in the fluid and it had ice particles that plugged the suction screen.??

Customer:

I'm not using John Deere oil - just the normal stuff they sell at Tractor Supply. Is the John Deere oil that much better for the machine? It's not really the cost - it's theXXXXXto the nearest JD store, when TS is only 15 minutes away. :-) But if it's really worth it, I'll make the longer drive.

Curtis B. :

It has better cold properties and keeps a thinner viscosity than the Tractor Supply oil,but in normal conditions, it is no better. How much more winter do we have?

Customer:

GAWD, I hope we don't have much more! I knew this one was going to be bad, but I had no idea! This is Philly's 4th snow over 6 inches this season, which is the first time ever. (I think they're getting up to 2 feet in the northern areas of the city) Thanks for all your help!!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician