Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 650 John deere with a front mounted snow blower. the…

I have a 650 John...
I have a 650 John deere with a front mounted snow blower. the blower stopped engaging when switched on. I replaced the switch, it worked for about one half hour then quit. I tried it again 15 minutes later, it worked for the remainder of the day, and then quit working again. I put in a new switch and that did nothing at all when switched on. The safety switched has been removed from the seat years ago and shouldn't be having an effect on the current situation.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage at the switch? If voltage is dropping below 12 volts, the pto might drop out due t low voltage. Do you have any starting problems, that would indicate the battery is not being charged as engine is running? What is the battery voltage at battery before cranking, after cranking and while pto is on??

Customer:

Yes, I have a voltmeter and will I check it out. No, we do not have any starting problems. The engine in the tractor is a diesel and there are times we have to crank on it for quite some time to get it started, so I am sure there is plenty of charge in the battery but I will check that out as well. You ask in your response what the voltage is while the PTO is on. That might be a problem because I can't get it to turn on or do you mean with the PTO switch in the on position, thanks!

Curtis B. :

With pto switch on. If voltage i s dropping below 12 volts, the pto solenoid valve can drop out.

Customer:

Thanks again, I will check it out and let you know the results.

Curtis B. :

Ok, thanks.

Customer:

Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing a PTO solenoid on the various wiring diagrams I have looked at. Do you know where the solenoid is located on the JD 650?

Curtis B. :

This is 650 compact? What year model is unit?

Curtis B. :

What is the model number of the snow blower? Standard 650 has manual pto, the front mounted snow blower uses Different setups.??

Curtis B. :

The switch may not be working a solenoid!

Customer:

Yes, it is a 650 compact tractor. I am quite certain it is a 1983 model, 16 hp diesel engine, 14.5 PTO hp. It is a front mounted snow blower; however, I don't know the model number. I can check it out tonight.

Curtis B. : Is it a front driven pto shaft, or driven by hydraulic motor?
Customer:

It is a front driven pto shaft. Driven by two belts. There is one shaft pointing forward and another pointing back for the belly mower.

Curtis B. : Going to have to switch to question and answer, can't get site to work!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Trying to attach parts picture. Still have problems. Scroll up to view previous response. I will try again on different computer. http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP41/MP4121_________UN01JAN94.gif

Is the email address you provided something I am supposed to view?

The above link shows the front pto. I have to assume the front shaft coming from the transmission keeps turning,so you are using the electric clutch ,turned on from pto switch.There is no solenoid, just electric clutch this is just like a mower clutch. If voltage is at the clutch and it drops out, the clutch clearance might need to be closed up, clearance needs to be less than ,020 inch between the magnet and the armature. Email? Just a link to get back here.

something maybe I should have told you earlier, it might be relevant, the back side of the old PTO switch (5 brass rivets) "appear" to be a burned color, almost black when compared to the new PTO switch (could be a coincidence), which are a nice shiny brass color. That is what made me think the switch was burning out. If it is burning out could it be a problem with the ignition switch? Too many volts coming out of the ignition switch to the PTO switch. Can a PTO switch burn out or do they just wear out? Also, if I have 12 volts coming into the PTO switch when I flip the switch into the on position shouldn't I measure 12 volts going out of the PTO switch to the electric clutch? yes, I do have an electric clutch that engages the snow blower and/or the mower.

The burned switch would indicate too many amps going through the switch, can be the clutch load. The electric clutch may be puling too many amps, which heats up the switch.