Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I just got a 2004 John Deere 8420 and cant get the three point…

I just got a 2004...
I just got a 2004 John Deere 8420 and can't get the three point to go down. It will slowly creep down sometimes and then it will lift. I couldn't get it to creep down or raise until I messed with the settings. What do I need to do to get it to go down?
1/5/2014
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with your question.

The three knobs under are draft control, raise limit, and rate of drop control. It doesn't make a difference where the load and depth knob is at but the rate of drop should be full clockwise and raise limit the same. If you push the hitch lever to the full forward position and hit the lower switch the hitch should drop. More then likely the cylinders are stiff or seized up.

John Deere used one way cylinders with leak by drains on their 8000 series tractors. What we frequently see is water leaks past the outside seal and get behind the wear sleeve/guide in the top of the cylinder. The sleeve holder will rust and swell up causing the wear sleeve to clamp tight on the cylinder ram. The sleeve/guide are shown as #3 in the below diagram link.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/RXA0/RXA0090783_____UN14SEP06.gif

You mention that your hitch will move up and down a very small amount, this is a good sign. I would suggest starting the tractor, pushing the hitch lever to the lowered position and click the hitch lower switch. Use a loader tractor to push down on the hitch arm. If you are able to get the hitch to go down put a heavy 3pt implement on and work it up and down. You can spray lube around the top of the cylinder ram.

If you are unable to free the hitch up by pushing it down then the cylinders will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt.

Please keep me posted if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

I just wanted to check in and see if you have had any success with my previous suggestions. If you are still having trouble let me know and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks,
Kevin