Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Why do the brakes on my ford new holland 8870 need rebleeding…

Why do the brakes...
Why do the brakes on my ford new holland 8870 need rebleeding after it sets for a few days?
11/23/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. If you have to re bleed your brakes frequently then you have a leak in your system or a faulty master cylinder/brake valve. Check the system for leaks. On way to check the brake assemblies at the axles is to pressure test with a bucket pump, shut off valve and guage. Pump to 350 PSI, close the valve and watch for a drop in pressure. It should hold for 20 minutes with little to no drop. If the brake assemblies test ok and no external leaks are found then you likely have a faulty brake valve/master cylinder. Check your axles for overfilling. Reply back with your results and if you need further help and Ill be glad to help.

Thank you Dan, I will check pressure holding capacity. What do you mean check axles for overfilling? The owners manual under troubleshooting list air in brakes under 3 point problems. How could those two be related?

Tim

Hi Tim, This should be internal wet brakes if I am not mistaken. If so then if the brakes are leaking internally at the piston seals then it will bypass and overfill your axle housing. What is your serial number? I would not be able to confirm or check any other specs by serial number until monday as I will not have access until then but I can surely help with some troubleshooting steps in the meantime if that works for you. I would have to look into the 3pt hitch relation for you. There was a problem with the cooling on the brakes in the older tractors where there was not enough lube oil to keep the brakes cool and the friction material would contaminate the system. Check your strainer/filter, oil for friction material and metal that would indicate an internal problem. Let me know

Thanks Dan, I would appreciate your looking into a relationship with 3 point. As far as axle oil levels, I believe the axle housing, rearend transmission and hydraulic all share the same resevoir so i doubt that levels would change. Both sides do leak down .

Youre welcome Tim, You are correct since the same oil is shared. Check your strainer for friction material or plugged with debris. If both side do leak down then you are looking a disassembly and reseal and possible replacement of your friction discs depending on their condition once apart.
Dan, Technician