Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a John Deere 5045 with a little over 100 hours. I turned…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 5045 with a little over 100 hours. I turned it off to add fuel and when i tried to restart, dash lights and gauges came on but when I turned the key further to start the starter would not engage. I double checked to see all the interlocks were out, I checked the fuses all ok. I I hot wired the starter and it turned the engine over but did not start. Looking back at the dash I noticed the fuel gauge was not working. What is the next step?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/21/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Look at the fusible link mounted close to the starter.

PY55/PY55194________UN23JAN10.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

Seems to be a common problem on unit. Deere dealer seems to keep them in stock!

JACUSTOMER-c33bl18h- :

I already check it and besides when I hot wired the solenoid and the starter turned over is proof the fusible link is not blown.

Curtis B. :

Did you check the link for continuity? I would not take it for granted.

Curtis B. :

Do you have test light ot voltmeter to follow the voltage path?

JACUSTOMER-c33bl18h- :

Is there a circuit that energizes the fuel gauge, the fuel shut off valve on the pump and would energize the solenoid? I have a voltmeter..

Curtis B. :

There is starter relay up under the dash, but I don't have diagram. The keyswitch should be turning on all the gages, and the fuel shutoff when it is turned on.

JACUSTOMER-c33bl18h- :

That is what is weird. I was working the tractor and one minute it had a 1/4 tank and the next it was on empty. After adding fuel, I turned the key to the on position all the gauges and lights came on except the fuel gauge.

JACUSTOMER-c33bl18h- :

How would I test a relay?

Curtis B. :

See if it is getting voltage to close it, if it does, and it does not click closed, it is bad. Did you physically test the fusible link???

JACUSTOMER-c33bl18h- :

When I touched a wire from the battery cable connection on the starter to the solenoid terminal the starter engaged and turned the engine over at regular speed. if the fusible link were bad I would think the starter nor the solenoid would have worked.

Curtis B. :

The fusible link is not in the battery cable connection. It would not affect jumping the starter. you just checked the battery and starter.

Curtis B. :

Did you ever test the fusible link? I will opt out and see if someone else can help. Sorry.