Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My Kubota L3300 PTO turns on and off OK, but when I put a load…

My Kubota L3300 PTO turns...
My Kubota L3300 PTO turns on and off OK, but when I put a load on it, a load ratcheting noise starts and the shaft stops spinning until I get the load off. I assume it is a PTO clutch issue. Does the tractor need to be split in order to make the repair?
11/12/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

The pto clutch is in the center section behind the clutch housing and the rear housing with the three point cover on. Because it is not in the rear housing, you will have to split it at the engine so so can get to the center section.

Curtis B. :

I assume you have the independent, hydraulically applied pto. I don't see the small pto one way plates that you see on the smaller units.

Customer:

Is this something I should attempt on my own? I have some experience with tractors and some tools, I just don't know what I will find once I get the tractor split, are there going to be too many pieces and parts for me to keep track of? Are there lots of special tools required?

Curtis B. :

Is it Hydrostat transmission or standard? Hydrostat stays together and has few moving parts, the manual ttansmission model has lots of gears and spacers to keep up with. It is not for the faint of heart, it is a major undertaking.

Curtis B. :

Do you have jacks and stands to hold unit and move front away from rear? If not, might be better to let tractor dealer or repair guy do it!

Customer:

I suppose it would be best to let the tractor guy do the job. I am afraid the cost of the job will be beyond my means and therefore I have basically lost my tractor since the majority of my tractor work involves that PTO. By the way, it is a Hydrostat trans.

Curtis B. :

With a hydrostat unit, it may be something you could do. You can get a parts manual in CD off Ebay for cheap. Service manual can also be purchased. Take your time and take pictures and keep everything in order.. With gears and spacers on shafts, use a broomstick or similar and line the parts up as they come off.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician