Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Massey Ferguson 30 industrial tractor. The power steering…

Customer Question
I have a Massey Ferguson...
I have a Massey Ferguson 30 industrial tractor. The power steering cylinder kept breaking the anchor pin. Three times in one month. Now the steering cylinder piston ram broke where it connects to the anchor pin. The front steering has a fair amount of slop. Is this causing the ram to over extend and and the force breaks the pin or ram piston.

Thanks,

Jon Cummings
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/11/2013
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 8 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this

yes worn out linkage, loose and sloppy,
cause the ram to tilt, and go on a angle,
no longer a smooth action, starts to bind

I hope this helped you

The ram assembly is not sloppy or worn, the worn area is below the steering swing arm. Everything on the top assembly is OK.

Hi , Thank you for that

I did not mean the ram it self,
all other loose linkage is not running true, and smooth
which puts force on the other parts

I had a friend look at the lower linkage while I steered left and right and nothing seem caused it to bind or lock up. Also the ram should act as a buffer to over come the force applied from the lower assembly. The ram pressure should go into the bypass and act as relief to over come this additional force.

Hi

That is all I have to offer you on this
I will opt-out , and have another expert look at it
may have more ideas

The last time when it broke the piston assembly I was steering straight ahead. I was vigilant not to over steer the tractor in anyway.

OK Thank you for that info,
Please don't reply or rate me as that locks question back to me

I would like someone with experience directly in the problem to assist me.

Thanks,

Jon

Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Have you checked the power steering pressure? Your relief valve maybe stuck and is not relieving the pressure. The cylinder should not have enough power to break the ends off, it should relief valve should bypass the pressure. I don't see the power steering specs, but most power steering system on the Masseys are around 1500 psi. Hydraulic pressure is 2125 and power steering is usually less.

Normally pressure relief valves fail in the low pressure mode, not the high pressure mode. Am I right in this assumption.

Thanks,

Jon

no, you are not right. It is common for a relief valve to not open, and cause high pressure.

When i disassemble the relief valve, what should I look for that would create it to not relieve? Dirt, or what if this is an intermittent issue.

Thanks,

Jon

Dirt, rust, anything that might cause it to not relieve the pressure.

Thanks,

I will remove the pressure relief valve and clean it.

Jon

OK, thanks.