Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a tn65 wont start i unpluged the neutral safty switch…

Customer Question
I have a tn65 wont...
I have a tn65 wont start i unpluged the neutral safty switch and put a small jumper across the connector, the switch on the pto is working according to light on dash, when you turn the key a very faint click is heard? tractor srarts fine with a jumper at the starter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
10/23/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. Low voltage while trying to start will wear the contact plate in the starter solenoid over time if trying to start with a low or bad battery. That is the clicking noise if heard coming from the solenoid itself. Test your battery with a digital tester for a bad cell etc and for full charge. Check your alternator and charging system once running. Check/clean/tighten all cables and connections including all grounds between your battery and starter. While in the cranking position you should have power to the small S terminal at the starter solenoid. If so and the batteries and cables check ok, you have a solenoid/starter problem. Reply back with your results and if you still need further help.
Hi, I see you reopened the same question. Let me know if you need further help with this.

no im not satisfied not even close to ansewering tractor cranks fine with a jumper at the starter no battery or charging problem something in the safty not the neutral safty or pto switch

When you say you are running a jumper at the starter are you jumping the two large post or putting 12 volts to the small S terminal? the answer I gave was if you have power at the S terminal but the starter wont crank unless you jump the two large posts. When you jump the two large posts you are bypassing the solenoid. If the starter cranks with 12V applied to the small S terminal then yes your starter is fine and you have a problem either in your safety switches, harness, or poor connections between your battery starter and ground. If your battery is weak or has a bad cell the same symptoms can occur. Check under your seat for a seat safety switch as well.You will need a test light and OHM meter to properly test the harness and switches for continuity and power. Also test for power in and out of your ignition switch for a possible faulty ignition switch. Let me know what terminal you are jumping at the solenoid.

Hi, I just wanted to follow up with you to see if my answers were helpful or if you still needed further help. If you have solved your problem please rate or click accept if you are satisfied with my answers as that is how I get credit for helping you. Let me know and I will be glad to help you further if needed.