Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I Have A Ford 851 Powermaster Tractor. The Governor Is Not…

I Have A Ford 851...
I Have A Ford 851 Powermaster Tractor. The Governor Is Not Working. How Do You Rebuild Them Or Do I Need To Replace It With A new one And Were Do I Get One. or Am I Over looking Some thing?
10/11/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

1958 to 1964 was when 851 was made. You have 1999 powermaster?

Curtis B. :

Do you get any movement from the governor lever on the front cover?

Curtis B. :

Shows to be after s/n 26402. Is this what yours looks like? Is engine gas or diesel. Looks like 851 came with a choice.

Curtis B. :

EAF12470A is part number for all parts # XXXXX Looks to be only $24.00 !

Customer:

it is a 1958 your web site wouldn't let me put 1958 in it. there is no movement on the lever. s/n is 51252. and it is gas.

Curtis B. :

So all you need is the EAF12470A governor kit, but you have to pull the front of the engine apart, crankshaft pulley and the front cover, to get at it. Looks to be availbale, just doing a search on the number, but looks like price is closer to $100.00.

Curtis B. :

You will want new front seal, front cover gasket and the governor,

Customer:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

OK I Did The New Governor. Put It Still Is Not Working. I Think May Be It's The Throttle Linkage May Not Be Set And Adjusted Right. Any Idea How It Should Be Set?

The governor linkage has to be set so it pulls the throttle butterfly toward the closed position. is that the way it is installed?

I Under Stand That Part. Right Now The Governor Arm Is In The Middle When The Tractor Is In Idle Speed And All Was Has Been There. Is That Correct Or Should It Be All The Way Forward When The Tractor Is Idling. And Then Is Pulled With The Throttle Handel To Speed Up?
This Is A Little Hard To Explain. I Hope You Understand What I'm Trying to Saying.

When engine revs up, what does the governor arm do? Does it move forward toward front of engine, or does it push toward the carburetor? From the way it is made, it looks to me that it pushes toward the carburetor. With that said, it should be all the way forward when tractor is idling and should move rearward when engine speeds up. You were in doubt about the carburetor being put back together correctly.?? Could the levers be on wrong side of the carb?

It Pushes Toward The Carburetor. That Is The Way It Looked To Me That The Governor Arm Should Be All The Way Forward When Idling.
Not In The Middle. No I Was Never In Doubt About The Carb. I'll Adjust The Linkage So The Governor Arm Is All The Way Forward And See If That Works. All So The Bellcrank And Spring Are A Little Confusing.

Ok, let me know if it makes any difference.