Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a no crank situation on my john deere 1070 serial #

XXXXX Safety switches are functioning...
I have a no crank situation on my john deere 1070 serial # XXXXX Safety switches are functioning (SEAT PTO AND NEUTRAL) The starter cranks when voltage is applied to the starter solenoid via jumper wire.I replaced the starter relay , still nothing.Could it be the TDCM and how do I test it . Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks in advance. Tom
10/10/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

0001/0001246844____________A1.gif
Full Size Image

Curtis B. :

# XXXXX is two starter relays, do you have power to them? These tow are same part number, check them and then swap them to see if it will start.

Customer:

As I stated in my original question ,I replaced the start relay.I tried the new relay (ref#4 in parts diagram) in both plug in positions .Still no crank .The rear relay clicks when power is supplied through key switch (power circuit) . The front relay has no power to it in either the power or crank position on key switch .There is power at the key switch and it is working. The limited information I have suggests power to the relay is routed through the tdcm.Is this correct and if so what is the test procedure for the tdcm ?

Curtis B. :

Without wiring diagram or the service manual, I assume the TDCM , is the control module. I don't find a TDCM listed. But if it was mine, I would look at the starter solenoid and find the switch wire, and follow it back to the relays. Where is the wire to the switch routed to? Also you say the safety switches are good. I find usually start problems involve the harness or switch to the pto switch or switches, as some units have switch for front and rear pto operation.?? With control about $200.00 , I would eliminate everything else first.

Customer:

The tdmc is time delay control module.I have checked the safety switches with a continuity meter and also by bypassing them with a jumper wire.The wire from starter solinoid goes dirrectly into a large harness and is impossible to follow without destroying the harness.I was hoping you had access to a wiring diagram and repair manual.

Curtis B. :

Here is a $39.00 downloadable manual. I will opt out and see if someone else will have diagram. Please do not respond to me or it will lock your question. Sorry.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 8 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I’m Michelle, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Michelle-Moderator