Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My CASE 595 tractor, 4 cylinder, pull out stop will not start.

My CASE 595 tractor, 4 cylinder, pull out stop will not start. Battery is good, it cranks but will not start. The lase time it ran all day while mowing my field, got low on gas but did not run out, engine sputtered, smoke came out of the exhaust, engine power fluctuated and then died. I have had a plugged fuel line in the past, due to rust in the gas tank from condensation. I think it is a plugged fuel line again but can not figure out how to unplug it. The tank has two chambers, the one on the fill side has two hoses going from it, one goes over to the other chamber, it flows fuel fine, the other that goes up into the engine I do not know where it has no fuel flowing out of the tank into that hose. On the fuel filters, the air bleed values at the bottom of each filter fuel flows out of but the top bolt/screw when loosened has no fuel flowing out. That's it so far. What do you think is the problem and how do I fix it?

Curtis B. :

I assume this is diesel unit? You say ran low on gas.??

Curtis B. :

Have you tried blowing back through the line into the tank?

Curtis B. :

This is one odd ball fuel tank.. Makes you wonder what Case engineers were thinking. Lower section of the tank has crossover, but upper part is connected.

Curtis B. :

You have to get fuel flowing out top of filters for system to get fuel to the injection pump.

Customer:

Yes I disconnected the hose and used an air compressor to blow into the gas tank, still no flow. How do I get fuel to flow out the top of the filters?

Curtis B. :

You have to get the fuel line unplugged from the tank! . Take line off at the tank, and see where blockage is. Fitting or shutoff valve is good places to look.

Customer:

There is fuel in the tank, at least 5 gallons.

Curtis B. :

It will be easy to tell when you get it unplugged! You could syphon the tank or try draining it, but I might just remove the line and see if it is plugged!

Customer:

I did remove the line and nothing flows out of the fuel tank, I quess there is a plug in the tank itself.

Customer:

fuel does drain out of the other crossover tank but not out of the first tank connected to the fill spout

Curtis B. :

Plug is likely right at the fitting. Remove the fitting and quickly plug the hole with cork or rag, while you clean it out.

Customer:

I did remove the fitting and cleaned it out but did not need a rag to plug the fuel tank hole, because nothing flow out.

Customer:

I guess plug is IN the tank.

Customer:

I stuck my air compressor up into the tank hole but it did not unplug it.

Curtis B. :

Wow, must really be plugged!

Customer:

any suggestions of what I can do?

Curtis B. :

Have you ran a wire up into the tank?

Customer:

I stuck a nail into the hole but it would not go very far.

Curtis B. :

Can you swap sides and put suction tube in bottom of the other side of the tank?

Curtis B. :

Using the crossover hose.

Customer:

Do you mean connect the crossover hose going into plugged chamber to the suction tube so that everything is connected to the second chamber?

Customer:

When I disconnect the crossover tube from the first chamber fuel flows out.

Curtis B. :

You have to get fuel to the filters, what ever it takes to unplug the line or reroute the fuel through the other side of the tank. Use the crossover to go to the filter and plug the other end.

Customer:

I'll try that and get back to you.

Curtis B. :

OK, thanks

Customer:

Hi Curtis,

Customer:

Hi Curtis - Yes that worked, now I have to get fuel into that side of the tank, almost empty. That was a real mess, now I am trying to find a combination of connections that will allow me to hook up the suction tube into the crossover hose but still have it connected to the main tank. Found connections but not the correct ones to make the connection not leak (need pressure connections). Can you help me figure out exactly what connections I need so that I can order them, the stores around here do not carry the pressure type connections that I need. I figure I will need a T type connection and possibly a flexible tube/w pressure connection coming off of one end of the T to hook up to the metal suction tube. If you could help me with the size, type and name of each piece that I will need that would be very helpful. Also where does the suction tube go, where is the other end located? When I blew on the tube connected to the fuel filters it seemed like I could hear bubbles in the tank not air coming out of the open end of the suction tube (from the tank).

Curtis B. :

The fuel line is not pressure, go to Napa and get a plastic fuel line tee.

Customer:

Ok I will be in the city this weekend and will stop by NAPA. thank you