Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

L3240 FEL control lever sticks in left or right position and…

L3240 FEL control lever sticks...
L3240 FEL control lever sticks in left or right position and must be bumped back into neutral. No problem lifting or lower loader with lever as it functions as intended and springs back into position.
8/31/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

on the bottom of the control valve is the return and dent section with the spring in it. One for boom and one for the bucket.

Curtis B. :

The bucket spool is the one that is sticking, remove the lower cover and you will find the spring and parts. It likely is rusted up and needs a good cleaning or at least , needs to be greased.

Curtis B. :

I am assuming that the control valve for the loader is separate from the control for the rear section.

Customer:

when you refer to the lower cover I'm a bit lost;first tractor. how to gain access to lower cover? From underneath tractor or can I manage it with the seat plate removed?

Curtis B. :

Where is your control valve? Not a separate valve from the rear hydraulic control? Most loader valves would be up front, on the right hand side for easy access to your right hand.

Customer:

The control lever is on right side in front of the lift controls and PTO for 3pt hitch. The valve it self is not directly under the lever but to the left a bit. With the 3pt hitch lever cover removed plus the seat plate, most of the top portion of what I'm assuming is the hydraulics is exposed. with the control valve to the front. Heck have I confused you now?

Customer:

You wouldn't happen to have a schematic drawing of it would you?

Curtis B. :

I'm confused myself. So they are using the tractor hydraulic control valve for the loader. Not a separate valve. So this is the valve that is mounted to the bottom side of the three point housing? It is not external to the three point? All I have is manual on an L3250DT.

Customer:

this is a L3240HST

Curtis B. :

I know. I don't not have manual on the 3240. Can you take picture of the valve and attach it using the paperclip icon above the typing bar? The valve has to have a return spring on it and this is what needs to be looked at.

Customer:

Curtis

Customer:

Curtis I will have three photos attached... do appreciate effort I put a wrench on vavle rubber cup

Full Size Image

Customer:

BTW this is looking from the rear right of tractor

Curtis B. :

The spool shown with the wrench, is that the one that is sticking? This is a typical control valve and is not for anything but the FEL, the return parts are on the lower end of the spool. Looks like clearance under the valve is restricted. Meaning the valve would need to be removed , if you can't get it to unstick by oiling the top area under the boot.

Customer:

yes, the wrench is pointing at the stem for the FEL control of dumping the bucket. I'll try a 3 in 1 oil to the top of the stem. Many thanks! Ray

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician