Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I own a 1999 JD 4200 Utility Tractor and the loader is no longer…

Customer Question
I own a 1999 JD...
I own a 1999 JD 4200 Utility Tractor and the loader is no longer able to lift heavier loads.
When cold (just after starting) it will life the bucket with some loads at high RPM's, but will drop as soon as the RPM's are lowered. Will tilt up/down/back, but have no down pressure any more. During the winter it will lift a full bucket of snow for about the first 30 min. and then gradually lessen till it will not even lift the bucket empty. The 3-point works fine and PTO is good, power steering OK. Gear shift model and gear work and trans axle. I did take the pressure relief valve out and clean and reinstalled with no effect. I have not done a pressure test from the QD to the loader as others on this sight have suggested yet, but going to see if I can get a gauge, hose and connector and test each QD for the loader.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, Randy
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/8/2013
Mechanic: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Yes please continue. I am looking for a solution to get my JD 4200

back to lifting again.

Thanks, Randy

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello again,

We are still working with our professionals’ to find you the best possible match. But I wanted to touch base to see if you were still needing our professional's assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely apologize for the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Yes I do, Thank you. I've invested time and money into this and am hoping for some solutions to my problem. I am hopeful that your experts will be able to direct me with some options and a resolution.

Thanks, Randy

Relist: Answer came too late.

Thanks, Randy

Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Good morning. You say it will lift but not hold the load? The bucket works ok? If you put bucket flat on ground and tilt it forward, will it raise front end? This makes me think that you have a bad boom cylinder, with internal leakage. Put bucket down flat, then power the boom down as to lift front end, figure out which hose on the boom cylinders is pressure in that function. Then with unit off , remove the opposite hose from one boom cylinder. Crank unit and power down again, just as before. Any leakage from the open connection on the cylinder would indicate the cylinder is leaking internally, if the oil comes from the open hose, the opposite cylinder is the leaking one. Let me know, we can go from here. Thank you.

The bucket will lift when revved up when cold even with a load, but as it warms up it looses its ability to lift or hold the load up. It has no down pressure at all cold or warm or revved up.The tilts fine, but has no ability to raise the tractor. I'll try you suggestions on lift cylinders and let you know. Thanks

OK. That is what needs to be checked. Thanks for the reply.

OK I did this and it seems like one side is failing quite badly while the other side seems not to leak much if any. Does one need to replace the cylinders or can they be rebuild with a kit? And if they can be rebuilt is this difficult or require some special tool that i may not have?

Thanks

The cylinder can be rebuilt. You can buy a seal kit or take it off and have dealer reseal. It is a bit tricky to install the seals, but it does not take any special tools to disassemble it.