Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

what will cause athe brakes on a 2155 john deere tractor to…

Customer Question
what will cause athe brakes...

what will cause athe brakes on a 2155 john deere tractor to lock up i have released the bleeder screws with it running and not running but it still will not release the brakes

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/29/2013
Mechanic: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 9 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hello, my name is Kevin and I can help you with your question.

The issue you are experiencing is most likely not as a result of the foot brakes. The parking brake is the most common cause particularly after what you have already tried.

The parking brake on your tractor consists of an internal band style brake on the rear axle that is attached to the differential. What we often see is the brake lining will break away from the band and wedge it self onto the drum. When this occurs you may first notice a lack of power and then after going forward and reverse a few times the problem seems to get worse. You may or may not feel a difference in the height the park brake can be pulled when failure occurs. The below diagram shows the park brake assembly.

You can try backing off the park brake adjusting screw (#4) to see if the band will relax enough to unlock the rear axle. To access the park brake adjusting screw simply remove the plug from the top left rear corner of the rear axle housing. The adjusting screw only requires a simple large flat head screwdriver. Turning the adjusting screw counter clockwise will back off the parking brake. You can also remove the rockshaft housing to gain further access to the brake assembly.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin