Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Good Morning, I have a New Holland TC 40A tractor, I use the…

Customer Question
Good Morning, I have a...
Good Morning, I have a New Holland TC 40A tractor, I use the tractor to blow snow, haul trees, groom arena with an 8" arena groomer, feed horses and cows. Use it almost daily, it has 1100 hours on it, serviced every 100 hrs, front wheel assist and rear end every 300 hours. The issue im having is the tractor stops when under load, higher gears under load wont move, lower gears under load it will, if load increases it slows down but never loses RPM's. I have set the clutch for free travel a couple times and have it set at about 2". Given above, does this mean the clutch is going, is there another clutch setting somewhere under tractor? Its a dry clutch so cant be low on fluid anywhere. Do you know the cost of the fix Your assistance is appreciated. thx much. Jason
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/26/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

The only clutch adjustment is the freeplay adjustment. It does seem that you have a clutch going bad and will need for the tractor to be split to replace the clutch and pressure plate.

koboma :

IS this something you will do yourself or have to take to a tractor shop? DIY will be only the parts, maybe $500.00 for clutch , pressure plate and related bearings. In as shop, expect to pay $ 2000.00 for parts and labor , with labor rates being close to $100.00 an hour.