Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Kubota M59 backhoe front loader. I have a set of…

I have a Kubota M59...
I have a Kubota M59 backhoe front loader. I have a set of forks that takes the place of the loader bucket when I need to lift a pallet. My owner's manual says the loader can lift approx. 3000 LBS. My question is this: With my loader bucket removed, and my pallet forks installed, would I be able to lift a 3800 LB (palleted) safe from the back of a truck that has no lift gate?
4/12/2013
Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 9 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I have the machine size just under this one LTB 45. I got a 2900 lb boulder off my trailer for the yard and your capacity is 700 lbs higher than mine. As long as the 3800lbs is centered on the forks you should be fine. If its on the tips of the forks you will not be able to lift the weight. Your pin breakout is 5900 lbs. The mid point of your bucket can lift 2976. You need to get under the load, then roll the forks back to lift it. The bucket lift is not going to be strong enough.

In the event you can not get it to lift or roll back, Enter the pallet, now work the loader and hoe supports to raise the rear of the tractor. Once the tires are 6 inches off the ground, then extend your hoe out. Now lift up on the loader and roll back. Now raise your supports, the pallet will lift. Have the driver drive out from under you or back up with the tractor and lower slowly.

Hi Chris... thanks for the quick reply. You've explained it very well. The only thing you've said that kind of confused me a little is "The bucket lift is not going to be strong enough" Ohh, as I'm writing this, I think I just got what you mean. Tell me if I got it right. I think you mean the bucket (fork) lift hydraulics will not be able to manually lift the load on their own. I will have to maneuver the unit as you've described, in order to let the tractor's weight see-saw as a lever to lift the weight. If I'm able to support the load in this fashion, will the hydraulics allow me to lower the load to within a few inches of the ground and drive 20 or 30 feet w/the load?

I do not believe you can vertically lift it with the loader, due to the hydraulic pressure, not due to the loader metal strength. However the bucket rollback is stronger then the vertical lift so you may be able to lift the load by simply rolling the forks back, just like scooping a load of gravel. As long as what your picking up can tilt then you should be fine.

The hydraulics will lower just fine, and allow you to hover right off the ground. Once you get it down, the hoe can be pulled in, the weight down low will not require an extended hoe.

Thank you Chris... your ans. is excellent and makes a lot of sense. I remember once putting my bucket under the trailer hitch of my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 HD. It lifted only enough for the rear wheels to clear the ground by an inch or two. It simply would not lift the truck any higher.

Thank you so much for the great advice. And you have a good night.

Edgar Bowen

Glad I could help, please take a moment to rate my answer.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks.

Thanks Chris
.
.

Hi Chris... Your advice worked like a charm. Thank you. I want you to know that I gave you an EXCELLENT rating days ago. I don't know if it went through because they've since sent me at least a half doz. inquiriess

since, again asking me to rate you.

I know for sure, had it not been for your knowledgeable help in this matter, I would have had to hire, at great expense, a professional to do the job.

Thanks again ... Edgar

Thanks Edgar, the accept went through. Good job.