Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

1999 john deere 4400 tractor cranks but will not start. Have…

1999 john deere 4400 tractor...
1999 john deere 4400 tractor cranks but will not start. Have replaced fuel and air filters.
3/29/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

# XXXXX is fuel shutoff solenoid, requires battery voltage to open and stay retracted If you have no smoke when cranking, you have no fuel to the cylinders. The shutoff solenoid has to allow the fuel to the injectors.

koboma :

Loosen one of the injector nozzle high pressure lines, and see if you have fuel squirting when crankin, no fuel would would be shutoff problem.

koboma :

Let me know, we can go from here. Thank you.

Customer:

Loosened one injector line. No fuel flow at all

koboma :

Yes, that is what I figured. The solenoid is suspect, be sure it has voltage to it. It should click open as soon as key is turned on.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Fuel shutoff solenoid was the problem. It was not easy to replace. I had my front end loader installed and the working space is cramped if you have large hands. After replacement started quickly and ran rough for a few minutes to purge the air since I had removed one of the fuel lines.

Great job. Much appreciated. Got me out of a bad situation and saved some money. Would have replied earlier but could not because it took a few days to get the part.

Glen Jones

Sorry for late reply. Had to take wife and granddaughter to supper with great grand son!. Glad it was the shutoff. Good job! Thanks for using Just Answer/Pearl.