Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a MF40 tractor with a MF front loader. Can I add hydraulic…

I have a MF40 tractor...
I have a MF40 tractor with a MF front loader. Can I add hydraulic ports to operate a 3 point log splitter?
3/28/2013
Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 9 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

What you can do is tie into your front loader supply and dump lines by making some T fittings with quick connects. This is the easiest approach. Below is a drawing how I set it up on a lot of older tractors. in some cases there is a pressure loss because there is still fluid getting into the loader control and the spool valve there is neutraled out to dump fluid back into the reservoir when not in use. To remedy this you can either unhook the supply to the loader so all oil is sent to the splitter or install a 1/4 turn shut off valve inline to the supply for the loader.

graphic

Thank you Moose, that seemed reasonable to me. But, a farmer/neighbor thinks that since the loader has no pressured return, that is, it does not push down, but simply drops due to the weight of the bucket, that splicing into the lines only allows a splitting direction, but will not return the log-splitter's ram. More information: There is a valve to the left of the seat in the line that directs the flow to the loader or not, and one quick disconnect on the loader side of this valve. does this make enough sense as I describe it, and does it worry you or affect the answer?

On your splitter, is the controlling valve on the tractor or on the tractor or on the splitter. Most are on the splitter. The splitter has a valve block with a input and exhaust and 2 lines going to the cylinder. The valve block uses the always pressure supply to control left or right ram movement. When not in use it dumps the fluid into the return.

On your loader you should have 2 lines coming from the tractor to the valve block. You would by splicing into these lines, and either disconnecting the loader supply line or shutting it off, so no flow is getting to the loader.

I believe your friend is thinking about using the loader valve block to control the splitter ram, if that is what you want to do, it is still possible. You would disconnect the bucket roll forward and backward supply lines before they split for the left and right ram and connect them to the splitter, using the loader valve to control your splitter ram.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks.

Thanks Chris
.
.