Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

John Deere Compact Tractor: 1996 John Deere Compact Tractor…

Customer Question
1996 John Deere Compact Tractor...
1996 John Deere Compact Tractor w/ 3 cylinder Yanmar Diesel Engine. The engine blows black smoke but will not start.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
2/15/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

Model number? DO you have glow plugs and are they getting voltage and heating up? Have they ever been changed?

koboma :

When did it last run? Is fuel quality good?

koboma :

Have fuel filter been changed?

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :
My Yanmar will not start. The battery is fully charger
Full Size Image
. The fuel is clean. The glow plug lite comes on and then goes off. When the light goes off, I try to start it. The engine blows black smoke from the exhaust pipe. When I let the switch go, the engine stops immediately. I am puzzled. I removed the electric shut off and replaced it with a pull manual shut off. It's been working good after the replacement. One morning, I started the tractor, and moved it out side. I went back that afternoon, and no start , just black smoke..

koboma :

So the glow plugs need to be looked at. Do you have a test light or voltmeter to test if the glow plugs are gettijng voltage when you turn to the glow plug position. How old are the glow plugs? Have they ever been changed?

koboma :

picture did not come through.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

I have juice going to the connection on the glow plugs.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

Glow plugs never been changed.

koboma :

I would want to replace the glow plugs. You never gave me the model number.

koboma :

Just because the voltage is there, does not mean the glow plugs are getting hot.

koboma :

Have you gave it a shot of starting fluid to see if it will fire?

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :
Yanmar 3TNA72UK
diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
53.6 ci [0.9 L]

ried the starter fluid, but didn't work. It put the motor in a stall.T

koboma :

650, 750. ???

koboma :

Start with checking the glow plugs. What about the fuel filter? Has it been changed?

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

New filter, fresh fuel. I have just rebuilt this tractor. The motor was one I purchased on line. It ran good. I started it that morning and drove it out side. I went back that same afternoon and nothing, just black smoke. As soon as I let the ignition switch go the motor stops .

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

The tractor is a 1996 John Deere 755 Compact tractor.

koboma :

ok

koboma :

Does it run as long as you have key in start position??

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

Yes I guess you could say that. It tries to start as for my knowledge of motors

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

White smoke would tell me it's raw fuel, but black smoke tells me it's burning the fuel but won't start.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

Could it be some safety switch that is preventing it from starting ?

koboma :

Only thing on the system was the electric fuel shutoff, you sat it has been removed.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

yes sir

koboma :

So is this the first running of the replacement engine?

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

No. I have moved a number of loads of dirt and used a couple tanks of fuel.

koboma :

Black smoke would mean to much fuel, or not enough air. Or out of time.

koboma :

None sound like it would be problem.

koboma :

Have you bled the fuel system and checked to be sure it doesn't have air in it?

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

You got me. It was running good, and now it doesn't run. The timing sound like it could be the problem. Is that with the

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

injecter pump ?

koboma :

Timing is set with the timing gears on crank and cam, and with shims under the injection pump. I don't see that changing!

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

I bled the fuel system, but can't get it to run so I can bleed the injector lines.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

The timing doesn't kick back against the starter .

koboma :

I have seen it when gas was accidently introduced to the fuel system.

koboma :

You would loosen the injection lines and crank till fuel was squirting out, then tighten the lines to bleed.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

I don't know if anyone could have used my diesel can and put gas in it with my fuel. I never thought of that.

koboma :

Just a thought!

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

I can try that tomorrow.

koboma :

OK, let me change to question and answer and you can get back through your email.

JACUSTOMER-fvumvri1- :

Yes sir.

koboma :

Do NOT rate until finished.

koboma :

Thank you.

Scroll up to view earlier response, please do not rate until satisfied. Thank you.