Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

In freezing weather myhydraulics do not work. I haveto heat…

In freezing weather myhydraulics do...
In freezing weather myhydraulics do not work. I haveto heat the fittings and pump body to get it to work. The plow is two years old. I changed thefluid. What couldit be?.
1/28/2013
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 9 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this ,
Good Evening

Your problem is , seen this many times,
wrong fluid ,
Go to a place that sells Hydraulic fluid, , makes HYD hoses and such
tell them you want Lift Truck, freezer Hyd Fluid
this is what we used in the Freezes, on Lift trucks at Kraft Foods,
and then installed into Plows , then installed in the lift gates on trucks

PLEASE HOLD RATINGS UNTIL WE ARE DONE

Thank you for your input. I did change the fluid with Fisher fluid that is rated at -50 degrees. I did not flush out all the lines originally, just the reservoir, then later flushed out two of the three.
I will try to flush out the cylinders too. However, by heating the reservoir and the manifold it worked, so the cylinders would not be the issue.

There was no milkyness of the hydraulic fluid, indicating water.

Any other thoughts?

If not I will just bring it in to the dealer.

I am satisfied with your answer.

Hi
Thank you for that
That is my only thoughts
it was pretty common on the Lift trucks run in the freezer,
temp in there was -22

Wayne, Journeyman
thank you