Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I send a question a couple of days ago, but apparrantly it…

I send a question a...
I send a question a couple of days ago, but apparrantly it hasn't gone through, so i'll try to re-establish it. Still regarding the clutch. The model is 4wd and with cabin. I'm a skilled mechanic and know to replace a clutch on a car, but haven't tried it on a tractor before. Is it possible to support the gearbox with cabin and rearwheels on stands and, when separated, lift up the engine with a jack and push it away on the frontwheels ? I suppose that there will be a few wires, hoses and tubes to separate as well. I have found the clutch.kit at Farmingparts.com. Do you know that company ? Do you know how much time it's supposed to take to replace this clutch ? Do you know if this tractor is equipped with 12" or 13" clutch and whether it's a conventional disc or the type with 7 separate pads ? Do you always replace the flywheel or only if it's worn or has been hot and turned blue ? I hope to get through this time. Regards Jens
1/22/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

You have it right. You can support the cab and transmission end, and roll the front with engine away from the body. I had a set of stands made that had rollers on the front section for a Deere, that made it easy to move away and then back into position without worry of jack. The front axle needs to be blocked so it will not tilt side to side if it gets wobbly.

koboma :

I don't know if it has 12 or 13 inch clutch, but it will be conventional disc, not the button clutch. I never order parts before hand, as you never know what else might be needed.

koboma :

Same as for flywheel, go by what it looks like, sometimes refacing is required, but many times a good sanding is all that is required. Rarely is the flywheel replaced, only if it has really deep surface cracks. Don't overlook the ring gear and check its condition while your there.

Customer:

Thanks for the answer. In what way do you mean blocking the front axle ? You will still have to be able to push the front end forward ! When you say ring gear, do you mean release bearing or spigot bearing for the gearshaft ? You didn't comment on the supplyer Farmingparts.com, do you know a better place to buy the spares ? Here in Denmark we only have the autorised importer, where the parts are very expensive. Finally you didn't mentioned how much time you recond the operation should take ? Thanks in advance. Jens

koboma :

The front of tractor can pivot on the front axle, side to side, you don't want that to happen. That's what you need to control with blocks. Might not be necessary if you have two sided stand for front section. If using a floor jack, it is a necessity. Starter ring gear, be sure teeth are good for starter drive. I do not know Farmingparts.com, but do use internet parts suppliers for most of my parts, with good results. I would think job would be 8 hour operation, depending on if it has loader or other accessories to remove, that always adds more time.

Customer:

Thanks for the assistance. Best regards Jens

Scroll up to view, please do not rate until satisfied. Thank you.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician