Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a starting problem on a John Deere 7405. I could only…

Customer Question
I have a starting problem...
I have a starting problem on a John Deere 7405. I could only get a few "grunts" from the starter then clicking from the selenoid. When connected to a diesel truck through very good electrical connections voltage at the truck battery and the starter were only 4 volts.

I suspected the starter was gone, so I replaced the starter with a new (not re-manufactured) unit and now I have the same issue.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/16/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

With only 4 volts showing at the starter, you have battery or cable problem., Your negative cable can be bad or the connection at the frame could be not making good connection.

koboma :

But with low voltage that you have the battery or primary cables will be the fault. What does battery read? Needs to be minimum of 12.5 volts before turning to start, and not less than 8 volts when starter is engaged.

koboma :

If voltage is below the 8 volts, you have battery or cable issue.

koboma :

let me know, we can go from here. Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Right now I am attempting to start it with my diesel pickup.

All my vehicles have modular connectors to the electrical system. I am using 300 Amp anderson power pole connectors and 2/0 multistrand copper cable.

The modular connector on the tractor connects directly into the positive and negative terminal of the starter motor. I am only getting 2 volts when cranking at the starter motor. I removed the battery from the circuit (both terminals) making certain to wrap the posative cable in insulating material. I still get 2 or 3 volts at the starter from a running pickup with two 650 CCA batteries.

Since I am not using the battery cables in this test they should not be suspect.

The pickup is showing 14.5 volts when not cranking.

This cranking volts? Is engine turning, just slow? Where is voltage being lost??? Makes no sense, if you are jumping direct to the starter. With voltmeter you have 12 volts at the truck connection? and 12 volts before starter is engaged at the starter solenoid?

It appears that "something" is sucking power from some place.

With a direct connection from the truck batteries to the tractor starter motor the voltage on both ends of the cable show the same voltage. 14.5 volts when not cranking and 2 - 3 volts when cranking. The cable does get warm, even though it is about 25 degrees outside.

I have the battery disconnected at this time, both posative and ground.

The engine will turn or grunt once ot twice, then just the selenoid clicking.
When did engine last run? If voltage is being drawn by starter, the engine seems to be too hard to turn. Are hydraulics dragging engine down, making it too hard to turn? I think you have something else going on with the engine.
I last ran it last Monday, it started a little hard, but did start. After running for 20 - 30 minutes I shut it down to speak to some, never leaving the seat. It would not start. I took voltage measurements at the battery and starter. This looked like a classic starter issue. So I ordered a new starter and almost finished installing yesterday (Saturday). I completed the install today, only to find the same issue.

The bucket happened to be raised and is still raised, but the controls are in neutral. The three point is down and the single hydraulic on the box scraper is relaxed.

I dosconnected the battery wires at the starter, so those wires are no longer in the circuit at all. Same issue. When is cranks I get 2 - 3 volts at the starter, is cranks about 1 second (about 1 or 2 grunts), then just clicks from the selenoid.
Engine is too hard to turn, typical Deere hydraulic problem. Old 4010 you had to jerk steering wheel around to get pump to neutralize and let engine crank!
I have never had that issue in the 12 years I have had this tractor.

The steering wheel will move, but it is just slipping on the steering valve. Attempting to move it with each short crank does not produce anything different. The engine still will not crank and the steering wheel just slips on the steering valve.

None of the other hydraulic lines I checked had pressure in them.

Is there any way to easily release pressure on the steering value?
I don't know of easy way to check . How hard is it to get to the pump? Could you slip pump back enough to see if it is pump problem.
The steering valve is fine. I moved it a bit at the knuckle and it is freely moving.

Still the same issue with attempting to start.

As I am losing my light now, I'm heading in.

I have a two other options I am working on. I will report back some time tomorrow (Monday) with results or a further time table.

Ok. Would really like to know conclusion!
Sorry for the delayed response. We had a snow storm with high winds Wednesday and with everything else piled on, my response slipped to the bottom of the stack.

Everything is working well now so here is what I found

- The tractor battery was bad, given that it was 10 years and 2 months old my maintenance paid off. But it was time to get a new one. This still dod not fix the issue.

- There is no way to start the tractor just using my 1 ton pick up. Even with 2 650 CCA batteries and 300 Amp connections. The starter motot specifications indicate a running amperage of 600 amps with a peak of over 900 amps. I can use the pickup to jump start a weak battery, but not as the sole battery.

- Even though I've had this tractor for 12 years, I did get it used. Someone put a splice in the 4/0 posative battery cable between the battery compartment (in the very front) and the starter (about mid tractor just in front of the operators station). This split-nut splice was extremely corroded. So I replaced the entire 4/0 cable with a new battery terminal and crimp connection for the starter.

So I really had three issues: bad posative cable, weak battery and a mistaken belief that my diesel pick up could start the tractor.

Trouble shooting is straight forward when you have 1 problem. It gets very messy when you have multiple related problems.

Thanks for your assistance.
Good job! Sometimes it is just not as clear as water! Bad cable connection will do it everytime. Thanks for the response!