Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do I remove and replace a broken axle on an L120? Will…

How do I remove and...
How do I remove and replace a broken axle on an L120? Will I also need to replace tie rods and bushings?
11/15/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

What is this L120? Kubota tractor? Deere mower? Other?

Customer:

John Deere

Mechanic: jrwhitey_2000, Technician replied 9 years ago
jrwhitey_2000
jrwhitey_2000, Technician

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

You did not state if you were trying to repalce the front axle or the rear axle. If you are replacing a rear axle on the trnasmission then the entire transmission msut be removed and taken apart. If you are replacing a front axle then we will focus on that. The first thing that you will need to do is use a floor jack and lift the front end off of the ground. It will be best to lift right in the center and then use a set of jack stands toward the outer ends of the axle to support it. Once you have the front end lifted off of the ground securely you can then proceed to remove the front axle. You will want to first remove both of the fron wheels by removing the plastic cap in the center of the wheel. Under that cap there will be a retainer ring that can be pryed off and then the wheel can come off. Once you have the wheel off you will have clear access to the tie rod ends. The tie rod ends will thread into the steering shaft on one end and the other end of the tie rod will go through a hole in the axle. That end will be retained with a nut and most times a cotter pin as well. You will need to remove the cotter pin(if they are on yours) and then remove the nuts. I like to loosen the nuts so that they are even with the end of the threads and then use a brass drift punch t ohit on the nut to loosen it from the hole in the axle. You will repeat that process for both of the tie rods ends. Once you have the tie rods removed you will then proceed to remove the front axle. You will need to remove the plastic cap from the top of the steering spindle. Once you have the plastic cap off you will then see another retainer that can be pryed off. The steering spindle will then be free to be removed from the axle. Do that to both sides. Once you have those removed you can then remove the front axle from the tractor frame by removing the bolt from the center of the axle. Once the center bolt is removed you can remove the axle and replace the bushings. The bushings should just slide out of the hoel in the axle. If you are only replacing the steering spindles and not the actual front axle then you will not need to go this far. I have provided a picture with a breakdown of the fron axle and steering parts to help you. Let me know if anything is unclear or if you need additional information.

MP29/MP29762________UN16SEP02.gif

It is the front axle. It has broken in two. Your instructions should be adequate if I can figure out how to get to the bolt on the front of the axle. There is some sort of assembly in front of that that must be removed. I will not have internet access on the farm, so I need to know that before I go back to do the job. I appreciate the help.

I think I covered all of it, but I am going to take another look.
jrwhitey_2000
jrwhitey_2000, Technician