Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

kubota 3750. Ran without much power for about a minute then…

Customer Question
kubota 3750. Ran without...
kubota 3750. Ran without much power for about a minute then stalled. Tried to start, runs for a second or two then stalls.
Replaced the fuel filter, which was dirty. Petcock is on. Clear bowl where fuel filter is does not appear to be filling with fuel. Should the fuel filter bowl fill by gravity or does the transfer pump have to pull fuel into it? Could this be a transfer pump failure? How can I tell if it is transfer pump, injector pump or injectors?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/1/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

The filter has a line out the top, which has a bleed valve on it, open this bleed valve to let fuel fill the filter.

koboma :

The transfer pump is past the filter, mounted oin the side of the injection pump, it has to work, but should not have to fill the filter, that should be gravity flow from the tank, but the air has to be bled out through the top line and bleed valve.

koboma :

??

Customer:

Let me go check, be right back

koboma :

The transfer pump will fill the filter, but takes a lot of pumping to get all the air out, and you need the bleeder open at the injection pump to do that.

koboma :

If you have gotten air into the injection pump, the injectors , the injectors will have to be bled.

Customer:

The bleeder did work to fill the bowl. Still have the original problem of tractor trys to start but doesn't get there. Is there anything else easy to check besides the filter?

koboma :

Loosen the high pressure fuel lines at the injectors and crank until fuel spurts out, then tighten the lines and crank engine.

Customer:

I the filter bowl was empty, so I'm assuming that will let air in the system. How can you tell if the injectors must be bled?

koboma :

If you have all the air out up to the injection pump and it won;t fire, the injectors need to be bled.

Customer:

If I understand correctly, cracking the high pressure lines at the injectors and cranking to get fuel indicates that the air is out of the injector pump. What is involved with bleeding the injectors?

Customer:

Is injector bleeding a backyard mechanic task?

koboma : Sure, just loosen the lines, crank the engine over until fuel shows up, then tighten the lines. Nothing fancy, just nuts and bolts!
koboma : That is all that is required.
Customer:

thanks

koboma :

Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician