Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

have a JD 4400 compact tractor. got off seat today and tractor…

have a JD 4400 compact...
have a JD 4400 compact tractor. got off seat today and tractor died.similar inpast was kill switch under then seat. cleaned it and reconnected. no luck. checked PTO-not engaged.gauges work. kill switch clicks when seat moves.

Any suggestion?
7/22/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

What were you doing with the tractor before the shutdown?

koboma :

Could the pto switch or the harness have gotten pulled loose or damaged from driving over debris?This would make the system think the pto is still in gear.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
was backing up to a bush hog in wide open debris free area. PTO was not engaged. got off tractor and engine died. would not start but gauges worked, seat kill switch clicked. behaved like kill switch or PTO engaged but neither seems to be the case. Are there other kill triggers?
Neutral switch, clutch switch, seat switch, pto switch. Do you have voltmeter to check the system or a test light to follow the power? Start with battery voltage, has to be 12.5 or more, then check the battery cables, at the battery and the negative at the frame. The positive at the starter solenoid. The power for the keyswitch comes off the solenoid and goes to the keyswitch. The safety switches have to complete the ground circuit for the tractor to start. Check the safety switches with ohm meter to be sure they are changing from open to closed, or closed o open. If they change phase they are ok.
transmission is hydrostatic so no clutch or neutral switch so it sounds like PTO or seat kill switch are the only options. Does the seat switch have a "relay" or similar at the starter that could go bad?
Hydrostat does have neutral switch. There are relays in the system, but usually not problem areas. Swap relays, they are all alike.