Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I bought a John Deere 1050 tractor it has a backhoe attachment.

Customer Question
when i took the attachment...
I bought a John Deere 1050 tractor it has a backhoe attachment. when i took the attachment off the three point hitch would not work. there is a valve knob under the seat that i was told to adjust. when i went to do it, it appears that there is not valve and that the three point has been "Neutered". someone told me that this is done at the factore for machines that will be used for rental. is this true and what can i do? thanks
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/7/2012
Mechanic: JBFixxer, Mechanic replied 10 years ago
JBFixxer
JBFixxer, Mechanic

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

If your backhoe attachment utilizes quick connects, to the best of my knowledge, the supply and return hoses for the backhoe MUST be connected to each other once the backhoe is removed. Oil is diverted from the three point hydraulics to run the backhoe on the 950's and 1050's. With the hoses disconnected and dangling, no oil is going to the three point circuit.

Yes we understand how to hook up the hoses between the backhoe function and the three point hitch function. i had a quatlified mechanic make sure all hosed were hooked up, and they are. my question is: will the manufactorer remove/not install the adjustment valve that is just below the seat to make the three point hitch unusable for a machine meant to be used in the rental industry, and if this is the case how do i fix the three point hitch to work again.
No, the oem would not remove the valve, it would be too time consuming to do that. I had a few 950's that were outfitted with the backhoe attachment, both of them had the valve still installed. I will get back to you later with part numbers of the valve mechanism, and what would need ot be done to restore it to a functional state. If you could, a few pictures would be helpful in identifying what is missing. Namely under the seat and around the draft control area( right side of seat ).

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answer was very helpful. but just this last thing about the valve. would the oem NOT install the valve if the tractor was going to be sold to a rental company? i have two things going on here #1 the business that sold me this tractor told me that he has originally sold it to a man he know in town (Small town), and that he had recently traded it back. but when i took it to a friend to fix the three point hitch he pointed out several problems with it and said he thought it had been used as a rental unit. so this information would be valuable to take back to the the business i bought it from. and #2 i want to fix it so i can use it .when i took the knob off to see what was going on it appears that its just a dead end hole. i could take a picture, but not sure if i could manage to send it to you. i'll try. i have not been on this computer since last thursday, so i just got this second response. does accepting the answer end our conversation, or can i continue after i accept? thanks

Hello again, If the knob was there, and the three point lower 2 arms and upper lifting arm were there, the point was sold as a functional mechanism. I suspect that the rental company may have removed the components behind the knob in an attempt to "set" a fixed flow rate. Other than a salvage company that deals in these foreign red gone green tractors, it will be difficult to replace what could be missing, as John Deere has all but walked away from the early Yanmar line up. I will attach a picture below to help illustrate what should be behind the knob, just under the front of the seat.
Image courtesy of John Deere. The complete valve group goes under the part number of AM875880, that is everything in the box marked 45.
JBFixxer
JBFixxer, Mechanic
Thanks. i appreciate your candor.