Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 20 year old JD 755 compact tractor starts, but shut down…

My 20 year old JD...
My 20 year old JD 755 compact tractor starts, but shut down a second later. I replaced the Fuel Pump Solenoid Shutoff, same situation. If I hold the fuel pump soleniod shutoff in the on position, it runs. The lights on the dash now do not work either. I checked the shutoff switches under the seat, seem ok. I also replaced the 10A fuse for the starter, which blew but now does not.My local JD guy is 2+ week out to look at it, cant wait that long. Any ideas what to replace next? THanks, XXXXX XXXXX
5/24/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

The fuel solenoid has two coils, one to retract it, and the other is a hold coil, the hold is not getting power. You have three fuses, have you checked each with voltmeter or test light to be sure that you have power through them?

koboma :

with no power to the dash lights, i wonder if there is power to them? The only thing that effects the whole system is the control module, but it is not cheap part to just replace. You can run the tractor with the solenoid removed or tied back , but will have to kill tractor manually .

koboma :

# XXXXX being the control module.

koboma :

Let me know. Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I have another question. I replaced the control module and the tractor works. Now, however, now the PTO (mid mount mower), works when the tractors starts cold, however, if I restart the tractor warm, the PTO just slams the magnetic switch and will not work. I checked the switch under the seat, seems OK, is there a thermal sensor that would shut off the PTO or not allow it to restart? Thank you.
No, there is no thermal sensor. If the pto slams, the pto clutch in the tractor is the problem, not the switch or the electric clutch.