Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

i have a john deere 4600 tractor with a diesel problem. It…

Customer Question
i have a john deere...
i have a john deere 4600 tractor with a diesel problem. It will start sometimes and now will not start at all. I have replaced all the fuel lines. it started for awhile then quit. I replaced the fuel transfer pump. It started for a month and then quit. I have replaced fuel filter, o-rings. i know or think I know its air in lines. I can not figure this out. I have also done the ohm test on the primary fuel pump and all good. this is really stumping me.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/24/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

Two questions, do you have fuel to the injection pump? and is the fuel solenoid # XXXXX opening the fuel as soon as the key is turned on. It requires battery voltage to open the fuel passage to the injectors.

koboma :

Or do you find air when you open the bleeder on the injection pump?

koboma :

I guess that was three questions!

koboma :

The fuel solenoid can be slipped back and the engine cranked to see if it is the problem, if engine starts, you will have to re-insert the solenoid to kill the engine.

koboma :

Let me know. Thank you.

did you find problem?
Hello I am going to have to acually chat with you on this. I can be online saturday night after ten pm. Can we get together then and chat.
Sure, Maybe I can stay awake that long!
Hello Curtis, I now see that you are on Easern standard time. Sorry about that. I have not pulled the solenoid yet. I do hear it click when I key the ignition. Was told that was all I needed to hear. Is that correct? I do not know that I have a bleeder on the injection pump. Would you send me a diagram of that part and the bleeder. I will check back on Sunday in the early afternoon. Say 5 PST. Thank you..
The pump has no bleeder as such, but the incoming line can be loosened at the # XXXXX banjo bolt to bleed or check to see if it has any air in it.MP21/MP21879________UN09DEC99.gifThe solenoid clicking may or may not mean it is actually working, pull it off and check it outside the unit, and reach up into the hole, and push on the linkage to see if it is moving in and out, the solenoid pushed it to kill engine and when solenoid retracts, the linkage has to move outwards to open the fuel passage.
Thank you Curtis. Let me try that and will see if that works. Will do that tonight and get back to accept or ask further.
i'm back from walking the dogs! Will be here for a while. Thanks.
Again,, Thank you for your help. I went out tonight and It would not start. Took out the solenoid and keyed it. It moved in and out just like it should. Then I thought I would give a full start a try and it did start. (with solenoid out) This confuses me as it looks like it was working but it did start. Please let me try it throughout the day tomorrow and see. I have been fighting this problem for over a year. In the last few months it was getting worse. I just want to get a no start situation and pull the solenoid a couple more times. I will get back on tomorrow night and let you know. Sorry this is taking so long I just need to be sure.
No problem.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Dear Curtis, I have had three no starts and pulled the solenoid with great success. I am going to accept your answer with great joy. I was getting very tired of diesel all over me and the ground. If I have anything in the future with this problem can I get back to you??? Wow!! At last that damn green machine is running. Thank you....
Well, let hope it works out. Thank you!
hello I accepted and wrote you and left a tip. Did it work
YES! THANK YOU!!