Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Massey Fergurson 481, The clutch will not engage unless I pull…

Customer Question
Massey Fergurson 481, The clutch...
Massey Fergurson 481, The clutch will not engage unless I pull the petal up eight inches above normal.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/11/2012
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 10 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi i'm Wayne,

I will help you with this

Good Afternoon,

This all leads to a clutch adjustment,

Have you performed this as yet

How do you adjust the clutch

Hi

First step is to get a bar or a Philip's head screwdriver about twelve inches long is good and fit it through the hole in the clutch shaft ,next step is to loosen the pinch/locking bolt on the clutch pedal the one that locks it to the shaft ,undo it just enough that the shaft will turn and the pedal can be moved easily.
Next step is to turn the clutch shaft with the screwdriver through the hole ,turn it all the way CLOCKWISE till you feel it touching,then holding it in this position bring the pedal up to the foot peg the gap between the foot peg and the pedal should be about one finger thick or 1/4 to 3.8 th inch at this point tighten the locking bolt ,make sure it is tight and when tight mark the shaft to the pedal so that if it SLIPS on the shaft you will see by the mark you made .
If after doing this and it still doesn't work you will have to split the tractor and replace the clutch,Just a little piece of advise, Fit a complete clutch assembly including release bearing and flywheel spigot bearing and the clutch if kept properly adjusted will last forever well maybe not forever but guaranteed you will not have clutch problems

I guess I failed to tell you that this is a cab tractor. A cable attaches the petal to the shaft that goes all the way through the bell houseing and has a spring on the opisite side. when I press the clutch in it completly releases. When I release the petal nothing happens. When I lift up on the petal, which has no resistence, the clutch engauges. It is like their should be a stronger spring to ingage the clutch or something is binding and preventing the required movement. Every thing appears to be normal. Is it possible that the spring may have lost it's tension.
Hi sorry for the long delay............

I flight all day , coming back from Colorado family visit, mother in Law ill
OK, the what you are saying is a spring problem
new one or tighter , if it is engaging when you pull up on it
that is the place to start